81 Topic Ideas for Starting a Blog that Matters
Written by Corbett Barr
There are blogs about nearly every topic imaginable, but that doesn’t mean they’re all good!
Here at Fizzle, we believe that anyone who puts in the right amount of focused effort can build an audience online, even if it is about an obscure topic.
But knowing what to blog about isn’t always easy. Blog ideas and blog topics aren’t always easy to dream up.
We ran a blogging challenge a while back, and surveyed the participants about the topic ideas they were considering for their blogs. They didn’t use all of these blog ideas, but many of them did get used.
Don’t know what to blog about? Here are 81 blog topic and blog ideas to get you thinking on what to write about.
(Some of our favorite and most creative blog ideas are in bold.)
- Self improvement / personal development (how you overcame some obstacle or started a new habit, and what you learned)
- Health & fitness for busy people
- Learning a new language
- How to travel on a budget (best hotel deals, trip advice)
- Writing / writing style / copywriting
- Animal rescue
- Cryptocurrency (Bitcoin, etc.)
- Social dynamics & communication skills
- Working in uncommon fields of expertise while location independent
- Making your own ______ at home
- Recipes for couples without children
- Male guides to female communication
- Using technology in small business (credit card processing, customer relationship management, email marketing, etc.)
- Blogging about special kinds of foods (we’ve got a course on this one!)
- Bullying/cyber bullying
- Behavioral disorders in children
- Body-weight training
- Entrepreneurial education for young children & adults
- Disc golf
- DIY projects, DIY business and selling homemade items
- How to have a strong marriage
- How to be a good friend
- How to train for a triathlon
- Careers vs jobs: following your passion
- Getting AWS certified
- Getting Microsoft certified
- The best burgers in your city/state/country
- Self-sustaining lifestyles (growing your own food, using solar power, living off the grid, etc.)
- Mind strengthening (mind over matter/ lucid dreaming)
- Beyond the basics of personal financial management
- Healthy eating during times of stress
- Home brewing beer
- Self defense training (“for women” or “for children” or “for business executives”)
- Indie video game development
- Video game tactics shown through video tutorials
- Helping small businesses get more customers
- Community gardening / urban farming
- Starting and running your own social network
- Point and shoot photography (how to create incredible photographs with your phone or whatever camera you have in your pocket)
- Blog & website design for non-designers (how to make your blog look incredible without spending a fortune)
- The art of getting what you want (how to use confidence and technique to get what you want from life, your relationships and your career)
- Making good video for the web (how to leverage the video medium to take your brand, blog, website, or business to the next level)
- Self-employment (The logistics behind how to start working for yourself, how to leave your job, find health insurance, set up a business entity, etc.)
- How to write an e-bestseller (documenting the process of creating an Amazon Kindle bestseller.)
- Rapid language learning for moving abroad
- How to become a better writer
- How to lose weight and feel awesome (even at middle age, the Primal/Paleo way)
- Modern vegan diets
- Urban commuting by bicycle
- Apartment living (this could range from renter issues to decor, etc.)
- Interior design on a budget
- Eating organic on a tight budget
- Health conscious, high mileage, minimalist traveling
- How to become a famous rockstar online
- Sports photography
- Life skills/life coaching for high school students
- College planning for homeschoolers
- Speaking in public (how to overcome the fear of the audience, minimal approaches to presentations, etc.)
- Finding family harmony (improving the relationship between family members, how to increase the creativity of kids and parents, how to help kids to find their passion and inner peace)
- Alternative running events (mudruns, Tough Mudder, Spartan Race, Warrior Dash, etc.)
- Learning the Ukulele and other less common instruments
- Learn how to play guitar at an older age
- How to win arguments without losing friends
- Becoming a wine connoisseur or sommelier
- Build a custom boat and cross the Pacific in it
- Getting good at tennis and qualifying for tournaments
- Stand-up paddle boarding
- Mobile apps that can improve productivity, relationships with friends and family, and overall quality of life
- Simpler living (a blog that will explore and map a journey from a miserable traditional way of living back to a forgotten way of life)
- The best “places” around the world & do they live up to the hype?
- How to do travel photography/videography
- Preparing for The Next Great Recession (A blog based on a sustainable lifestyle with a smaller footprint)
- Building an iPhone application from scratch
- End of the world prophecies throughout time
- Car maintenance for non-gearheads
- Running a small agile business (we’ve got a 9 stage blogging/business roadmap for this)
- A “good Ccause” blog (telling the stories of successful non-profits & charities)
- The world of virtual conferences
- QR codes – innovative ways to use them in small business marketing
- Inspired bootstrappers (a blog to inspire bootstrappers by posting real bootstrapper success stories)
Starting a blog is actually easy. Thousands of new blogs are started every day. Anyone can start a blog in 5 minutes, but very few people will create blogs that matter.
What’s the difference between most blogs and the select few that attract huge followings?
That’s a question I started asking myself long before I started my first blog. Since then, I’ve started four blogs that have attracted over a million visitors each, and I’ve helped friends and clients attract huge audiences and build thriving, sustainable businesses built around blogs.
I’ve also seen plenty of bloggers work incredibly hard on something that never takes off.
By studying these differences and through the work I’ve been doing for the past 10 years, I’ve developed a repeatable formula for building successful blogs.
Everything I’ve learned has been distilled into our Start a Blog That Matters course. This course can help you create a blog that will change your life and the lives of your readers.
Take the course that’s launched THOUSANDS of blogs. Start a Blog That Matters is one of the most popular, effective (and entertaining) courses on creating and launching a blog that WORKS.
Try this course free with Fizzle membership »
Creators: Grow an Audience and Get Paid for Your Work
At Fizzle, we’ve worked with thousands of creative entrepreneurs, helping them find customers and get paid.
We’ve helped bloggers, podcasters, YouTubers, musicians, designers, consultants, photographers, foodies, teachers, and everything in between.
Our acclaimed training and coaching program is now offering a free 14-day trial. See if Fizzle membership is right for you »