Build: Stage 4 of 6 on the Small Business Roadmap (FS103)
Stage 4, the Build stage, is a big one. As Corbett puts it: “this stage is a monster and a lot of people get stuck here.” In this episode we talk you through each step so you can rise up when others start to sink.
There’s a lot of fun stuff here — naming, website building, social media accounts. That stuff is exciting even when it gets challenging.
But built into the 9 steps of Build is also some difficult tasks that won’t happen over night.
Listen to this episode to get into the mindset of the big picture, avoiding the hamster wheel of building an audience forever without ever finding a way to earn a living with that audience. Enjoy!
(If you’re not already, subscribe in itunes so you can get the next episode in your sleep.)
The real meat of each of these items is in the conversation. The items below are meant as simply a placeholder while you listen to the episode.
- Create an operating system: Entrepreneurs: Why You Need Both a Personal Workflow and a Company Operating System.
- Set goals and update your progress log (accountability loop).
- Find a business partner (optional).
- Name your company. Great tips from Corbett on this one around 20m in. More info: How to Pick the Right Domain Name (+ 11 Domain Name Tools, FS090).
- Setup your business (legal and finance): Small Business Accounting: Where Do I Put the Money? (FS009)
- Setup social media profiles.
- Setup your email list.
- Build your website. (There’s a great course in Fizzle on the essential of great site design for NON designers.)
- Grow a minimum viable audience. (This one and the next require some explanation.)
- Build a minimum viable product. What’s the smallest thing you could put out there to test interest in your idea?
The Roadmap Episodes:
- Clarity (episode 100)
- Connection (101)
- Planning (102)
- Build (103)
- Money (104)
- Scale (105)
- 4 Updates (106)
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
Is your podcast routine stuck in a rut? If so, we’ve got just what you need! Jane Portman from Userlist joins us on the blog today to share her podcasting genius. Keep reading for 8 experiments you can try when your podcasting routine needs spicing
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. Despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of content
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
Joe Valley is an Author, Guest Speaker, EXITpreneur, Advisor, and Partner at Quiet Light. He has also built, bought, or sold over half a dozen of his own companies. Over the last nine years, Joe has mentored thousands of entrepreneurs whose goal is to achieve their own eventual exit. He
Tiffany Bisconer is a CPA with over 20 years of accounting and tax experience. Tiffany worked with one of the top certified public accounting firms before becoming director of Acena Consulting. She combines her private industry and public accounting experience to work with CPA firms and directly with business owners
This has been an exciting month for Fizzle! We recently announced a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community.