Bootstrapping Your Way to a Sellable Business with Laura Roeder of MeetEdgar (FS333)
Who are your online business heroes? Which businesses are doing this entrepreneurial thing brilliantly? Someone we look up to a lot is Laura Roeder, founder and CEO of MeetEdgar. Today we will be doing an inspirational deep dive on her path and philosophy behind bootstrapping her business and growing online!
There are so many ways to build the company that you have always wanted! Hearing from someone who has worked in this space and managed to achieve many of their own goals in their own unique and tailored way, can be such an affirming message for everyone out there pushing.
In this episode we talk about the benefits of bootstrapping your startup. We discuss finding your own way through money and hiring instead of relying solely on venture capital. Laura shares insight about how to keep in mind the idea of building a sellable business while creating something you believe in. Laura also gives us her thoughts on the role of social media for today’s entrepreneur!
Laura Roeder started out in the online space over ten years ago and since then has built information and software-based businesses, the most recent of which is MeetEdgar. The company was based on a method that she developed beforehand for streamlining and optimizing social media strategies and with the coding expertise of her partner, she turned this into software and a company!
We also talk about the integral roles of unique skills, personality, creativity in a startup, and the variables of the startup model. Laura busts a few myths along the way about things having to be done in a certain way! Get the full scoop on episode 333 of the Fizzle Show!
Today’s episode is brought to you by Podia.
Podia is a Swiss Army Knife for selling anything you need online. It’s an all-in-one digital storefront where you can sell courses, memberships, and digital downloads all in one place.
The cool thing about Podia is that they eliminate all the technical headaches. You don’t have to install anything, you can host your sales pages there, your files, your checkout process. You can even do your email marketing and your newsletters from Podia!
Fizzle Show listeners can get 15% off of Podia FOR LIFE by signing up for a free trial over at http://podia.com/fizzle.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Laura’s early entrepreneurial experiences and how she got started around 2008. [0:02:34.6]
- A quick introduction to MeetEdgar and the service that it provides. [0:07:01.2]
- Amplifying your message on social media and doubling down on popular posts. [0:11:02.8]
- Transitioning to a sellable business and understanding this journey [0:16:22.3]
- The effect that making MeetEdgar a sellable business had on Laura’s relationship with it. [0:20:08.1]
- Building a team to grow the business while bootstrapping your growth. [0:22:29.4]
- Salaries and finding the funds to hire a team in the early stages of a business. [0:26:20.2]
- Juggling family, personal time and the constraints of a new company. [0:30:50.7]
- Laura’s own ambitions when starting MeetEdgar and focussing on operations. [0:37:38.5]
- The place of social media in our businesses; how much space should it occupy? [0:42:45.8]
- And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Fizzle — https://fizzle.co
- Podia — https://www.podia.com/fizzle
- MeetEdgar — https://meetedgar.com
- Laura Roeder — https://lauraroeder.com
- The 4 Hour Work Week — https://fourhourworkweek.com
- Chris Guillebeau — https://chrisguillebeau.com
- Social Brilliant — https://meetedgar.com/social-brilliant-ebook/
- Built to Sell — https://www.amazon.com/Built-Sell-Creating-Business-Without-ebook/dp/B004IYISQW
- Nathan Barry — https://nathanbarry.com
- ConvertKit — https://convertkit.com
- Sarah Park –– https://sarahpark.co/
- Sarah Park — https://www.linkedin.com/in/sarah-park-945b4522
- Battered Bastards of Baseball — https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_battered_bastards_of_baseball
- Deloitte — https://www.deloitte.com
- Tim Ferriss — https://tim.blog
- Shark Tank — https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1442550/
- Kylie Jenner — https://www.instagram.com/kyliejenner/?hl=en
- Fizzle Roadmap — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/small-business-roadmap-1-clarity
- Fizzle Try 5 — https://fizzle.co/try5
- Fizzle Productivity Essentials — https://app.fizzle.co/library/productivity-essentials
- Fizzle Name Evaluator — https://fizzle.co/?s=name+evaluator
- Fizzle Customer Conversations Course — https://app.fizzle.co/courses/customer-conversations
- Fizzle Define Your Audience Course — https://fizzle.co/guides/defining-your-audience
- Fizzle Goals Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/goals
- Fizzle on Twitter — https://twitter.com/fizzle
- Fizzle Just Ship It Challenge — https://app.fizzle.co/just-ship-it-challenge
- Fizzle Sparkline — https://fizzle.co/sparkline
- Fizzle Journaling Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/journal
- Fizzle Essentials of Web Design Course — https://fizzle.co/library/essentials-of-website-design-for-business-builders
- Fizzle Website Tune Up Curse — https://fizzle.co/courses/tuneup
- Fizzle 80/20 Copywriting Guide — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/writing-copy-for-web
- Fizzle Toolkit — https://fizzle.co/toolkit
- Fizzle Craft + Commerce — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/craft-commerce
- Fizzle Project Management for Entrepreneurs — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/project-management-for-entrepreneurs
- Fizzle Hosting — https://fizzle.co/hosting
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. But despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of
Starting a blog can be a life changing decision. I started blogging on a sabbatical while road-tripping through Mexico one year, and had no idea just how much my life would change as a result. Because I started a blog, I have: Reached millions of people Made friends around the
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
Barrett Brooks is COO at ConvertKit, which is a email marketing software for creators (authors, musicians, chefs, filmmakers, comedians, YouTubers, etc.). In this episode, Barrett goes into depth on how to own the relationship between your audience independently of social media and other platforms. By creating your own website, and
Today we have former Co-Host and Co-Founder of The Fizzle Show, Chase Reeves! We catch up with Chase today as he embarks on his own podcast journey with his new show: “Traveling Light,” where he explores the ideas, lifestyles, and habits of pop creatives, thinkers, and makers
Adii Pienaar is founder of WooCommerce and Conversio, both of which he successfully sold. In his new book Life Profitability, Adii gives us a new perspective for becoming self-aware, recognising your values, and understanding your impact.