Business Ideas we Love (+ current events) (FS092)
Buttered coffee, infographic research tips, the importance of LinkedIn profiles and what podcast to listen to next… all this and more covered on the show today.
I’m curious, what are some new businesses you’ve fallen in love with recently? Tell me in the comments.
3:30 How Bulletproof Coffee Shoots You in The Foot | The Healthy Home Economist — “Bulletproof coffee has become quite the fad of late with fans touting its use as a way to lose weight, shrink that spare tire, and have more energy.”
- The important bits for me are not the weight loss stuff, but, rather, the sleep stuff.
- We get into some coffee and vitamin stuff that’s been helpful for each of us.
13:00 Who’s coming to Davos 2015? — “Over 40 heads of state and government, as well as 2,500 other leaders from business and society will convene at the 45th World Economic Forum Annual Meeting, from 21 to 24 January 2015 in Davos-Klosters, Switzerland, to discuss The New Global Context.”
- Barrett is getting ready to go to Switzerland.
- How did he get to go to this, you ask? Well, it starts with “my LinkedIn profile…”
Meet the woman behind Intel’s new $300 million diversity initiative – Fortune — “Intel president Renée James is building a pipeline of female and other groups of underrepresented engineers and computer scientists.”
- Huge initiative from Intel.
- They believe this will be a business advantage for them.
21:00 Shades of Independence: Solopreneurs vs. Side-Giggers | MBO Partners — “Solopreneurs regularly work more than 15 hours a week, averaging 35+. SideGiggers regularly work less, averaging 11.”
- Tip: use google images to search for infographics about a topic. It’s nice to get actionable stats to include in your blog or book or whatever, even better to get the sources of those stats and follow up.
- Millennials are the most inclusive generation. Breakfast Club vs Glee. This ted talk was great.
27:00 Business ideas we love.
- Menguin — online tuxedo rental.
- YourWela — convenient access to free advice and financial tools. (interesting competitor for Wealth Front.)
- Home Automation in general for Corbett. Echobe, Dropcam (which he used to catch a theif). We mention The Smart Home Show.
- Sonos and Rdio are two of my favorites.
- Need is really fun to watch grow. They just launched their own brand, Foremost.
- ConvertKit by Nathan Barry.
- Smart Podcast Player by Pat Flynn and team is going to be fun to watch.
38:00 Ideas on what you could read next.
- Conscious Company Magazine — highlighting sustainable companies and practices.
- Running with a mind of meditation — Corbett’s been running a bit more.
- Lapham’s Quarterly Comedy issue — words and art around a topic.
- The Mirror Makers — the best history of advertising out there.
- What to do when it’s your turn by Seth Godin — a new book idea from Seth.
- Brother Journal — about the end to end process of how foods are made. (Chase and Corbett do a way over enthusiastic “mmmmmm.”)
50:00 Corbett’s move to Portland.
Lynda.com gets $186 million investment.
— Mark Suster (@msuster) January 14, 2015
58:00 Some things you may want to listen to.
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. Despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of content
Starting a blog can be a life changing decision. I started blogging on a sabbatical while road-tripping through Mexico one year, and had no idea just how much my life would change as a result. Because I started a blog, I have: Reached millions of people Made friends around the
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
Joe Valley is an Author, Guest Speaker, EXITpreneur, Advisor, and Partner at Quiet Light. He has also built, bought, or sold over half a dozen of his own companies. Over the last nine years, Joe has mentored thousands of entrepreneurs whose goal is to achieve their own eventual exit. He
Tiffany Bisconer is a CPA with over 20 years of accounting and tax experience. Tiffany worked with one of the top certified public accounting firms before becoming director of Acena Consulting. She combines her private industry and public accounting experience to work with CPA firms and directly with business owners
This has been an exciting month for Fizzle! We recently announced a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community.