Choosing & Vetting A Business Idea (FS008)
Are you like the thousands we’ve heard from, worried and anxious about choosing a business idea?
Maybe you have analysis paralysis and can’t choose which one is best. Or maybe you don’t think you can come up with a business idea.
It’s a big decision. It typically brings with it a hefty dose of anxiety and worry, two things that hinder any entrepreneur’s ability to do good work.
So we dive into it in this episode, digging in, sharing our stories, giving our best advice.
Find a subject you care about and which you in your heart feel others should care about. It is this genuine caring, and not your games with language, which will be the most compelling and seductive element in your style.
I am not urging you to write a novel, by the way — although I would not be sorry if you wrote one, provided you genuinely cared about something. A petition to the mayor about a pothole in front of your house or a love letter to the girl next door will do.”
Corbett’s Vetting List
- Demand — is it something people want?
- Competition — who else is doing it? Are they successful?
- Care — how much personal interest do you have in this topic?
- Expertise — how much do you know about this topic?
- Specificity — how broad or narrow will your lens on this topic be?
- Differentiation — how will you differentiate yourself from others in this market?
- Likability of Customers — do you like them now? Will you like them later?
- Can/Will They Pay — do they have moneys and will they share those moneys with you to solve this problem you’re helping them with?
- Lifestyle — if this became successful, what would your life look like? Would this be a 200 person company? A single laptop on a beach? Does that fit with your personal goals?
- Care — what do you want to exist in the world?
- Serve — it might be the devil, or it might be the lord, but you’re gonna serve someone. (We don’t work for ourselves, we work for our audience. More on this in episode 007, Can You Entrepreneur? What it Takes).
- Dig In — stick around and have a long-term view. You’re gonna be a big deal in 15 years.
“Creating wealth is not a zero-sum game, so you don’t have to stab people in the back to win.” ~ Paul Graham
tiny ceramic unicornzzz dot biz
Green Exam Academy – FREE Online LEED AP Exam Study Guide – this is Pat Flynn’s LEED exam study guide we mention in the conversation.
Larry Halpern – he’s the Derek David of blogging.
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. But despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of
Starting a blog can be a life changing decision. I started blogging on a sabbatical while road-tripping through Mexico one year, and had no idea just how much my life would change as a result. Because I started a blog, I have: Reached millions of people Made friends around the
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
Barrett Brooks is COO at ConvertKit, which is a email marketing software for creators (authors, musicians, chefs, filmmakers, comedians, YouTubers, etc.). In this episode, Barrett goes into depth on how to own the relationship between your audience independently of social media and other platforms. By creating your own website, and
Today we have former Co-Host and Co-Founder of The Fizzle Show, Chase Reeves! We catch up with Chase today as he embarks on his own podcast journey with his new show: “Traveling Light,” where he explores the ideas, lifestyles, and habits of pop creatives, thinkers, and makers
Adii Pienaar is founder of WooCommerce and Conversio, both of which he successfully sold. In his new book Life Profitability, Adii gives us a new perspective for becoming self-aware, recognising your values, and understanding your impact.