Choosing & Vetting A Business Idea (FS008)
Are you like the thousands we’ve heard from, worried and anxious about choosing a business idea?
Maybe you have analysis paralysis and can’t choose which one is best. Or maybe you don’t think you can come up with a business idea.
It’s a big decision. It typically brings with it a hefty dose of anxiety and worry, two things that hinder any entrepreneur’s ability to do good work.
So we dive into it in this episode, digging in, sharing our stories, giving our best advice.
Find a subject you care about and which you in your heart feel others should care about. It is this genuine caring, and not your games with language, which will be the most compelling and seductive element in your style.
I am not urging you to write a novel, by the way — although I would not be sorry if you wrote one, provided you genuinely cared about something. A petition to the mayor about a pothole in front of your house or a love letter to the girl next door will do.”
Corbett’s Vetting List
- Demand — is it something people want?
- Competition — who else is doing it? Are they successful?
- Care — how much personal interest do you have in this topic?
- Expertise — how much do you know about this topic?
- Specificity — how broad or narrow will your lens on this topic be?
- Differentiation — how will you differentiate yourself from others in this market?
- Likability of Customers — do you like them now? Will you like them later?
- Can/Will They Pay — do they have moneys and will they share those moneys with you to solve this problem you’re helping them with?
- Lifestyle — if this became successful, what would your life look like? Would this be a 200 person company? A single laptop on a beach? Does that fit with your personal goals?
- Care — what do you want to exist in the world?
- Serve — it might be the devil, or it might be the lord, but you’re gonna serve someone. (We don’t work for ourselves, we work for our audience. More on this in episode 007, Can You Entrepreneur? What it Takes).
- Dig In — stick around and have a long-term view. You’re gonna be a big deal in 15 years.
Ideas are just a multiplier of execution | Derek Sivers
Father Apprentice – Make the most of fatherhood
“Creating wealth is not a zero-sum game, so you don’t have to stab people in the back to win.” ~ Paul Graham
Seth Godin’s Startup School podcast on Earwolf
tiny ceramic unicornzzz dot biz
Scott’s Bass Lessons – Online Bass Lessons
Green Exam Academy – FREE Online LEED AP Exam Study Guide – this is Pat Flynn’s LEED exam study guide we mention in the conversation.
Rickshaw Bagworks, San Francisco
Decision-matrix method – Wikipedia
Larry Halpern – he’s the Derek David of blogging.
Earn a living doing something you love.
Grow an audience and get paid for your work as an independent creator. Fizzle is where creators come to learn, share and make progress toward their online dreams.
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
8 Experiments to Spice Up Your Podcasting Routine
Is your podcast routine stuck in a rut? If so, we’ve got just what you need! Jane Portman from Userlist joins us on the blog today to share her podcasting genius. Keep reading for 8 experiments you can try when your podcasting routine needs spicing
Introducing Fizzle 2.0
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
The Secret to Creating Consistent Content (that nobody’s talking about)
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. Despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of content
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
The EXITpreneur’s Playbook with Joe Valley
Joe Valley is an Author, Guest Speaker, EXITpreneur, Advisor, and Partner at Quiet Light. He has also built, bought, or sold over half a dozen of his own companies. Over the last nine years, Joe has mentored thousands of entrepreneurs whose goal is to achieve their own eventual exit. He
R&D Tax Credits with Tiffany Bisconer
Tiffany Bisconer is a CPA with over 20 years of accounting and tax experience. Tiffany worked with one of the top certified public accounting firms before becoming director of Acena Consulting. She combines her private industry and public accounting experience to work with CPA firms and directly with business owners
Behind the Scenes: Fizzle 2.0
This has been an exciting month for Fizzle! We recently announced a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community.