Community Over Competition? (FS282)
Have you ever shared ideas with colleagues, a mentor or a student? Has this become a point of concern around originality, ownership or intellectual property? How do we go about navigating these potentially dangerous waters?
We at Fizzle are all too familiar with the perils of these types of feelings but we are also here to tell you how you can get past these issues and transcend the games of jealousy and possessiveness.
In this episode we begin by unpacking the different ways in which we can run in trouble over intellectual property; the ownership of ideas. From there, the discussion turns to some rumination on the freedom of ideas and we look at the history of jazz as a great example of legacy, tradition and individuality.
We also talk about how the communication and reproduction of similar ideas can lead to a rising tide for everyone and how generosity and grace can beget great rewards. A big takeaway from the talk is how reliant any type of culture or progress is on the borrowing and reinterpretation of ideas.
With that in mind we want to inspire you to command and negotiate these areas with joy and openness for your and others’ success. Tune in to hear it all!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Community over competition and the sharing of ideas. [0:06:12.4]
- Our fears around upsetting our teachers and collaborators. [0:08:41.2]
- The spirit of creativity, jazz and the borrowing of ideas. [0:12:19.7]
- The two different views on the limits of intellectual property. [0:16:53.6]
- Culture or the history of who is borrowing from whom. [0:19:27.4]
- The rising tide and the insecurity of intellectual possessiveness. [0:25:29.2]
- Leadership, stepping back and allowing others to shine. [0:31:21.8]
- The link between generosity and your own success. [0:35:03.5]
- Understanding the relationship from both points of view. [0:39:21.2]
- A commitment to honesty and working through difficulty. [0:45:24.2]
- The continual opportunity for succeeding together with collaborators. [0:51:33.1]
- And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Fizzle — https://fizzle.co/
- Everything Is A Remix — https://www.everythingisaremix.info/
- Star Wars — https://www.starwars.com/
- Akira Kurosawa — https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000041/
- Courage and Clarity — https://www.courageandclarity.com/
- Corbett Barr on Twitter — https://twitter.com/CorbettBarr
- Chase Reeves on Twitter — https://twitter.com/chase_reeves
- Miles Davis — https://www.milesdavis.com/
- John Coltrane — https://www.allmusic.com/artist/john-coltrane-mn0000175553
- Wes Montgomery — http://www.wesmontgomery.com/home/
- Thelonius Monk — https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2017/nov/06/get-inside-the-music-the-ineffable-genius-of-thelonious-monk
- Maria Popova — https://www.brainpickings.org/
- Austin Kleon — https://austinkleon.com/
- Brené Brown — https://brenebrown.com/
- Elizabeth Gilbert — https://www.elizabethgilbert.com/
- Glennon Doyle — https://www.thecut.com/2018/04/glennon-doyle-is-coming-to-get-the-white-women.html
- Rob Bell — https://robbell.com/
- Derek Halpern — https://socialtriggers.com/
- Rudyard Kipling — https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poets/rudyard-kipling
- StoryBrand — https://storybrand.com/
- Science of People — https://www.scienceofpeople.com/
- The Art of Low Competition Business Ideas — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/the-art-of-low-competition-business-ideas-fs129
- Gary Vaynerchuk — https://www.garyvaynerchuk.com/
- Start A Blog That Matters Course — https://fizzle.co/start-a-blog-that-matters
- Fizzle 80/20 Copywriting Guide — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/writing-copy-for-web
- Fizzle Try 5 — https://fizzle.co/try5
- Fizzle Goals Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/goals
- Fizzle Journaling Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/journal
- Fizzle Roadmap — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/small-business-roadmap-1-clarity
- Fizzle Project Management for Entrepreneurs — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/project-management-for-entrepreneurs
- Energizer Planning Method Episode — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/energizer-planning-method-get-year-back-track-fs215
- 15 Minute Weekly Planner —https://www.courageandclarity.com/plan/
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. But despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of
Starting a blog can be a life changing decision. I started blogging on a sabbatical while road-tripping through Mexico one year, and had no idea just how much my life would change as a result. Because I started a blog, I have: Reached millions of people Made friends around the
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
Barrett Brooks is COO at ConvertKit, which is a email marketing software for creators (authors, musicians, chefs, filmmakers, comedians, YouTubers, etc.). In this episode, Barrett goes into depth on how to own the relationship between your audience independently of social media and other platforms. By creating your own website, and
Today we have former Co-Host and Co-Founder of The Fizzle Show, Chase Reeves! We catch up with Chase today as he embarks on his own podcast journey with his new show: “Traveling Light,” where he explores the ideas, lifestyles, and habits of pop creatives, thinkers, and makers
Adii Pienaar is founder of WooCommerce and Conversio, both of which he successfully sold. In his new book Life Profitability, Adii gives us a new perspective for becoming self-aware, recognising your values, and understanding your impact.