Company of One: Why Staying Small is the Next Big Thing for Business (FS303)
How much growth is enough? Can you keep your company at an optimum size? What is the perfect size for you?
A bigger business is not always a better business. And, keeping things on the right level is almost always preferable to precarious growth. If you can stay profitable, why would you need to keep growing to some imaginary and mostly arbitrary standard?
In this episode, we are going deep on the idea of how to make sure your business gets to and stays at the best size for your needs. We are talking freedom, consistency and the phases of growth that you will experience.
Today on the show, we are joined by Paul Jarvis, author, designer, podcaster, online course teacher and software creator. Paul’s latest book, Company of One, is the jumping off point for today’s discussion and he does a great job of unpacking his philosophy for all of us.
We also talk about impacting one person through your business, remaining mindful of your successes and priorities, considering the lifestyle implications of your choices and filtering your decisions with your purpose.
So for all of this and more, join us on the Fizzle Show today!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Paul’s first, second and third books. [0:05:24.3]
- The electro shock experiment. [0:10:45.8]
- Increasing freedom and maintaining profitability. [0:15:04.5]
- The phases of growth and being mindful of enough. [0:20:35.7]
- Servicing yourself and customers by staying manageable. [0:25:30.1]
- Impacting one person through your work. [0:30:02.7]
- Paul’s experience publishing his Sunday Dispatches. [0:36:40.9]
- Paying attention to the audience that you have already accumulated. [0:40:20.4]
- A commitment to your audience through consistency. [0:43:45.7]
- The most useful question Paul has ever asked his audience. [0:47:40.5]
- How much is enough? Renegotiating your relationship with work. [0:51:01.3]
- Paul’s parting advice for getting it right for yourself. [0:54:15.7]
- And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Fizzle — https://fizzle.co/
- Gusto — http://gusto.com/fizzle
- Paul Jarvis — https://pjrvs.com/
- Eat Awesome — https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13565587-eat-awesome-a-regular-person-s-guide-to-plant-based-whole-foods
- Be Awesome in Online Business — https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FEKO62S/
- Company of One — https://www.amazon.com/Company-One-Staying-Small-Business/dp/1328972356
- David Heinemeier Hansson — https://david.heinemeierhansson.com/
- Cal Newport — http://calnewport.com/
- MailChimp — https://mailchimp.com/
- Tom Ross — https://uk.linkedin.com/in/tomrossconnect
- Electric Shock Experiment —https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/07/people-prefer-electric-shocks-to-being-alone-with-their-thoughts/373936/
- Elon Musk — https://www.forbes.com/profile/elon-musk/#e5473a77999b
- Tim Ferriss — https://tim.blog/
- Willow — https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096446/
- The 4-Hour Workweek — https://www.amazon.com/4-Hour-Workweek-Escape-Live-Anywhere/dp/0307465357
- Aiden Fishbein — https://vitals.agency/blog/author/aiden/
- Fizzle Try 5 — https://fizzle.co/try5
- Courage and Clarity — https://www.courageandclarity.com/
- Steph Crowder on Twitter — https://twitter.com/stephcrowder_
- Corbett Barr on Twitter — https://twitter.com/CorbettBarr
- Chase Reeves on Twitter — https://twitter.com/chase_reeves
- Fizzle Sparkline — https://fizzle.co/sparkline
- Fizzle Goals Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/goals
- Fizzle Journaling Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/journal
- Fizzle Essentials of Web Design Course — https://fizzle.co/library/essentials-of-website-design-for-business-builders
- Fizzle Website Tune Up Curse — https://fizzle.co/courses/tuneup
- Fizzle Roadmap — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/small-business-roadmap-1-clarity
- Start A Blog That Matters Course — https://fizzle.co/start-a-blog-that-matters
- Fizzle 80/20 Copywriting Guide — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/writing-copy-for-web
- Fizzle Toolkit — https://fizzle.co/toolkit
- Fizzle Craft + Commerce — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/craft-commerce
- Fizzle Project Management for Entrepreneurs — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/project-management-for-entrepreneurs
- Fizzle Hosting — https://fizzle.co/hosting
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. But despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of
Starting a blog can be a life changing decision. I started blogging on a sabbatical while road-tripping through Mexico one year, and had no idea just how much my life would change as a result. Because I started a blog, I have: Reached millions of people Made friends around the
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
Barrett Brooks is COO at ConvertKit, which is a email marketing software for creators (authors, musicians, chefs, filmmakers, comedians, YouTubers, etc.). In this episode, Barrett goes into depth on how to own the relationship between your audience independently of social media and other platforms. By creating your own website, and
Today we have former Co-Host and Co-Founder of The Fizzle Show, Chase Reeves! We catch up with Chase today as he embarks on his own podcast journey with his new show: “Traveling Light,” where he explores the ideas, lifestyles, and habits of pop creatives, thinkers, and makers
Adii Pienaar is founder of WooCommerce and Conversio, both of which he successfully sold. In his new book Life Profitability, Adii gives us a new perspective for becoming self-aware, recognising your values, and understanding your impact.