Company of One: Why Staying Small is the Next Big Thing for Business (FS303)
How much growth is enough? Can you keep your company at an optimum size? What is the perfect size for you?
A bigger business is not always a better business. And, keeping things on the right level is almost always preferable to precarious growth. If you can stay profitable, why would you need to keep growing to some imaginary and mostly arbitrary standard?
In this episode, we are going deep on the idea of how to make sure your business gets to and stays at the best size for your needs. We are talking freedom, consistency and the phases of growth that you will experience.
Today on the show, we are joined by Paul Jarvis, author, designer, podcaster, online course teacher and software creator. Paul’s latest book, Company of One, is the jumping off point for today’s discussion and he does a great job of unpacking his philosophy for all of us.
We also talk about impacting one person through your business, remaining mindful of your successes and priorities, considering the lifestyle implications of your choices and filtering your decisions with your purpose.
So for all of this and more, join us on the Fizzle Show today!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Paul’s first, second and third books. [0:05:24.3]
- The electro shock experiment. [0:10:45.8]
- Increasing freedom and maintaining profitability. [0:15:04.5]
- The phases of growth and being mindful of enough. [0:20:35.7]
- Servicing yourself and customers by staying manageable. [0:25:30.1]
- Impacting one person through your work. [0:30:02.7]
- Paul’s experience publishing his Sunday Dispatches. [0:36:40.9]
- Paying attention to the audience that you have already accumulated. [0:40:20.4]
- A commitment to your audience through consistency. [0:43:45.7]
- The most useful question Paul has ever asked his audience. [0:47:40.5]
- How much is enough? Renegotiating your relationship with work. [0:51:01.3]
- Paul’s parting advice for getting it right for yourself. [0:54:15.7]
- And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Fizzle — https://fizzle.co/
- Gusto — http://gusto.com/fizzle
- Paul Jarvis — https://pjrvs.com/
- Eat Awesome — https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13565587-eat-awesome-a-regular-person-s-guide-to-plant-based-whole-foods
- Be Awesome in Online Business — https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FEKO62S/
- Company of One — https://www.amazon.com/Company-One-Staying-Small-Business/dp/1328972356
- David Heinemeier Hansson — https://david.heinemeierhansson.com/
- Cal Newport — http://calnewport.com/
- MailChimp — https://mailchimp.com/
- Tom Ross — https://uk.linkedin.com/in/tomrossconnect
- Electric Shock Experiment —https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/07/people-prefer-electric-shocks-to-being-alone-with-their-thoughts/373936/
- Elon Musk — https://www.forbes.com/profile/elon-musk/#e5473a77999b
- Tim Ferriss — https://tim.blog/
- Willow — https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096446/
- The 4-Hour Workweek — https://www.amazon.com/4-Hour-Workweek-Escape-Live-Anywhere/dp/0307465357
- Aiden Fishbein — https://vitals.agency/blog/author/aiden/
- Fizzle Try 5 — https://fizzle.co/try5
- Courage and Clarity — https://www.courageandclarity.com/
- Steph Crowder on Twitter — https://twitter.com/stephcrowder_
- Corbett Barr on Twitter — https://twitter.com/CorbettBarr
- Chase Reeves on Twitter — https://twitter.com/chase_reeves
- Fizzle Sparkline — https://fizzle.co/sparkline
- Fizzle Goals Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/goals
- Fizzle Journaling Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/journal
- Fizzle Essentials of Web Design Course — https://fizzle.co/library/essentials-of-website-design-for-business-builders
- Fizzle Website Tune Up Curse — https://fizzle.co/courses/tuneup
- Fizzle Roadmap — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/small-business-roadmap-1-clarity
- Start A Blog That Matters Course — https://fizzle.co/start-a-blog-that-matters
- Fizzle 80/20 Copywriting Guide — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/writing-copy-for-web
- Fizzle Toolkit — https://fizzle.co/toolkit
- Fizzle Craft + Commerce — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/craft-commerce
- Fizzle Project Management for Entrepreneurs — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/project-management-for-entrepreneurs
- Fizzle Hosting — https://fizzle.co/hosting
Earn a living doing something you love.
Grow an audience and get paid for your work as an independent creator. Fizzle is where creators come to learn, share and make progress toward their online dreams.
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
8 Experiments to Spice Up Your Podcasting Routine
Is your podcast routine stuck in a rut? If so, we’ve got just what you need! Jane Portman from Userlist joins us on the blog today to share her podcasting genius. Keep reading for 8 experiments you can try when your podcasting routine needs spicing
Introducing Fizzle 2.0
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
The Secret to Creating Consistent Content (that nobody’s talking about)
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. Despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of content
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
The EXITpreneur’s Playbook with Joe Valley
Joe Valley is an Author, Guest Speaker, EXITpreneur, Advisor, and Partner at Quiet Light. He has also built, bought, or sold over half a dozen of his own companies. Over the last nine years, Joe has mentored thousands of entrepreneurs whose goal is to achieve their own eventual exit. He
R&D Tax Credits with Tiffany Bisconer
Tiffany Bisconer is a CPA with over 20 years of accounting and tax experience. Tiffany worked with one of the top certified public accounting firms before becoming director of Acena Consulting. She combines her private industry and public accounting experience to work with CPA firms and directly with business owners
Behind the Scenes: Fizzle 2.0
This has been an exciting month for Fizzle! We recently announced a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community.