The Danger of NOT Taking Time Off (And The Consequence of Doing it Poorly!) FS280
Are you struggling to find time to relax and unwind? Does your business take it all out of you and leave nothing left? Could you really do with a break or a holiday?
Here at Fizzle we believe that down-time and relaxation are vital to the success of your business and that sometimes the best thing for a business can be for the entrepreneur to take a break.
In this episode we unpack the idea of taking time off, whether it is a vacation, some time away from your desk or just some quality time with your family. We discuss how to balance the spheres of your life to get the optimum work done when you are grinding!
We also talk about digital addiction, burnout , engagement and intention, email inboxes and making the most of your allotted energy. No matter how urgent getting a task done seems, it is paramount that you do not always prioritize work.
For this exciting, healthy and enriching discussion be sure to tune in!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Restorative practices for entrepreneurs. [0:05:14.8]
- Sensitivity to the natural ebbs and flows that occur in life. [0:08:59.1]
- Recognizing these limitations to your abilities and allowing helpful downtime. [0:11:31.3]
- The dangers of digital addiction and managing our online usage. [0:13:31.7]
- Work-life balance and being really honest with yourself. [0:16:58.6]
- The importance of engagement and intention with your surroundings. [0:19:11.9]
- Working faster and better when you are rested and relaxed. [0:22:57.9]
- Using the finite amount of energy that you have been allotted. [0:27:49.2]
- The danger of burning out in light of external pressures. [0:31:28.5]
- A lesson from Twitter on how to manage your online presence. [0:39:01.2]
- The difference between what you ought to do and you want to do. [0:41:29.1]
- The significance of your email inbox. [0:44:01.2]
- Digital detox, burnout prevention and taking a vacation for your business. [0:50:02.6]
- Escaping the feeling that your business is a house of cards. [0:53:54.9]
- Parting advice for making healthy decisions for you and your work. [0:57:30.2]
- And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Fizzle — https://fizzle.co/
- Ruth Miles — https://siliconflorist.com/2017/05/17/meet-ruth-miles-oregons-small-business-advocate/
- Pinterest — https://pinterest.com/
- Episode 279 — https://fizzleshow.fireside.fm/279
- Knot Springs — https://www.knotsprings.com/
- David Sedaris — https://www.davidsedarisbooks.com/
- The New Yorker — https://www.newyorker.com/
- Fitbit — https://www.fitbit.com/
- David Sedaris “Stepping Out” — https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/06/30/stepping-out-3
- Terence McKenna — https://theunboundedspirit.com/73-mind-blowing-terence-mckenna-quotes/
- Taylor Tomlinson — https://www.imdb.com/name/nm6734866/
- Sex and the City — https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0159206/
- Corbett Barr on Twitter — https://twitter.com/CorbettBarr
- Chase Reeves on Twitter — https://twitter.com/chase_reeves
- Gary Vaynerchuk — https://www.garyvaynerchuk.com/
- Web 2.0 Summit Speech — https://conferences.oreilly.com/web2expo/webexny2008/public/schedule/speaker/25309
- Merlin Mann — http://www.merlinmann.com/
- Inbox Zero — https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9UjeTMb3Yk
- Sears — https://www.sears.com/
- Tim Ferriss — https://tim.blog/
- The 4-Hour Workweek — https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/368593.The_4_Hour_Workweek
- Fizzle Goals Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/goals
- Fizzle 80/20 Copywriting Guide — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/writing-copy-for-web
- Fizzle Journaling Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/journal
- Fizzle Roadmap — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/small-business-roadmap-1-clarity
- Fizzle Try 5 — https://fizzle.co/try5
- Fizzle Project Management for Entrepreneurs — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/project-management-for-entrepreneurs
- Energizer Planning Method Episode — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/energizer-planning-method-get-year-back-track-fs215
- Courage and Clarity — https://www.courageandclarity.com/
- 15 Minute Weekly Planner —https://www.courageandclarity.com/plan/
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
Is your podcast routine stuck in a rut? If so, we’ve got just what you need! Jane Portman from Userlist joins us on the blog today to share her podcasting genius. Keep reading for 8 experiments you can try when your podcasting routine needs spicing
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. Despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of content
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
Joe Valley is an Author, Guest Speaker, EXITpreneur, Advisor, and Partner at Quiet Light. He has also built, bought, or sold over half a dozen of his own companies. Over the last nine years, Joe has mentored thousands of entrepreneurs whose goal is to achieve their own eventual exit. He
Tiffany Bisconer is a CPA with over 20 years of accounting and tax experience. Tiffany worked with one of the top certified public accounting firms before becoming director of Acena Consulting. She combines her private industry and public accounting experience to work with CPA firms and directly with business owners
This has been an exciting month for Fizzle! We recently announced a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community.