Entrepreneurial Doomsday Prepping: How to Protect Your Business for When Life Hits Hard (cuz it will!) (FS306)
How do we create necessary safety nets for our businesses? What happens when disaster strikes or you just need to take a holiday? What are the most important areas to cover?
Every business will have its own unexpected ups and downs. Being prepared for these can mean the difference between staying alight and fizzling out, so we want to unpack how to go about prepping your ship for all manner of waters!
In this episode, we get right to the core of what it means to prepare well for the inevitable difficulties you or business might encounter. We go through some of the ways you can approach this task, talking about different modes of work, productivity and why time off is so important.
We also talk about recovery from tough periods, the concepts of good enough and trust and why it is not actually that difficult to be well prepared in this regard. This is such a vital topic because in the end, it can all collapse if you do not reinforce your businesses structures now!
For this great conversation, be sure to join today on the Fizzle Show!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Don’t miss out on opportunities through ill preparation. [0:08:10.3]
- Working in the eye of the storm. [0:11:01.8]
- Survival mode versus working with some perspective. [0:14:25.4]
- Power saving mode and settling for good enough when necessary. [0:18:32.4]
- Time off and the importance of systems and processes. [0:22:10.2]
- Team members and support networks for your peace of mind. [0:27:01.6]
- The four rings of productivity and stepping into complexity. [0:28:45.9]
- Stoicism and staying the path. [0:36:02.5]
- Serenity and calm in the eye of storm. [0:38:38.1]
- Write out your problems and letting it all out. [0:41:50.6]
- Emotional resilience and staying afloat in stormy seas. [0:46:40.7]
- Attachment, detachment and the results that come of these mindsets. [0:51:35.3]
- The impact of B minus work and minimum viable effort. [0:55:39.8]
- What are you committed to cause? [0:58:12.2]
- The power of automation and increasing points of failure. [1:03:50.9]
- Staying ahead of the curve and your schedule. [1:08:38.3]
- And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Fizzle — https://fizzle.co/
- Gusto — http://gusto.com/fizzle
- Gary Vaynerchuk — https://www.garyvaynerchuk.com/
- Bill Burr — http://billburr.com/
- New York Times Why Are Young People Pretending to Love Work? — https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/26/business/against-hustle-culture-rise-and-grind-tgim.html
- Kaiser Permanent — https://wa.kaiserpermanente.org/
- Get Out — https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5052448/
- Tim Ferriss — https://tim.blog/
- Ryan Holiday — https://ryanholiday.net/
- Time Ferriss TedTalk — https://www.ted.com/talks/tim_ferriss_smash_fear_learn_anything/transcript?language=en
- Brooke Castillo — https://thelifecoachschool.com/
- The Revenant Cause — https://www.therevenantprocess.com/
- Bench — https://bench.co/
- Wutang Financial — https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhUnEg0he4A
- Science of People — https://www.scienceofpeople.com/
- Fizzle Customer Conversation Course — https://app.fizzle.co/courses/customer-conversations
- Fizzle Just Ship It Challenge — https://app.fizzle.co/just-ship-it-challenge
- Fizzle Post Mortem Workbook — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/learning-from-pain-via-post-mortems-fs295/
- Aiden Fishbein — https://vitals.agency/blog/author/aiden/
- Courage and Clarity — https://www.courageandclarity.com/
- Steph Crowder on Twitter — https://twitter.com/stephcrowder_
- Corbett Barr on Twitter — https://twitter.com/CorbettBarr
- Chase Reeves on Twitter — https://twitter.com/chase_reeves
- Fizzle Sparkline — https://fizzle.co/sparkline
- Fizzle Goals Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/goals
- Fizzle Journaling Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/journal
- Fizzle Essentials of Web Design Course — https://fizzle.co/library/essentials-of-website-design-for-business-builders
- Fizzle Website Tune Up Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/tuneup
- Fizzle Roadmap — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/small-business-roadmap-1-clarity
- Start A Blog That Matters Course — https://fizzle.co/start-a-blog-that-matters
- Fizzle 80/20 Copywriting Guide — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/writing-copy-for-web
- Fizzle Project Management for Entrepreneurs — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/project-management-for-entrepreneurs
- Fizzle Hosting — https://fizzle.co/hosting
Earn a living doing something you love.
Grow an audience and get paid for your work as an independent creator. Fizzle is where creators come to learn, share and make progress toward their online dreams.
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
8 Experiments to Spice Up Your Podcasting Routine
Is your podcast routine stuck in a rut? If so, we’ve got just what you need! Jane Portman from Userlist joins us on the blog today to share her podcasting genius. Keep reading for 8 experiments you can try when your podcasting routine needs spicing
Introducing Fizzle 2.0
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
The Secret to Creating Consistent Content (that nobody’s talking about)
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. Despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of content
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
The EXITpreneur’s Playbook with Joe Valley
Joe Valley is an Author, Guest Speaker, EXITpreneur, Advisor, and Partner at Quiet Light. He has also built, bought, or sold over half a dozen of his own companies. Over the last nine years, Joe has mentored thousands of entrepreneurs whose goal is to achieve their own eventual exit. He
R&D Tax Credits with Tiffany Bisconer
Tiffany Bisconer is a CPA with over 20 years of accounting and tax experience. Tiffany worked with one of the top certified public accounting firms before becoming director of Acena Consulting. She combines her private industry and public accounting experience to work with CPA firms and directly with business owners
Behind the Scenes: Fizzle 2.0
This has been an exciting month for Fizzle! We recently announced a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community.