Entrepreneurs And Mental Health – We Need To Talk
Do you struggle with self-doubt and depression? How do you relate to the news of Anthony Bourdain’s death? How does your work and ambition influence your mental state?
As entrepreneurs we are constantly struggling within ourselves – it is part of the calling. With what feels like more and more frequent news of high-profile suicides or overdoses, the topic of depression is becoming a bigger part of the conversation everyday. The conversation is an indispensable one.
In this episode, we tackle this sensitive but necessary discussion from the viewpoint of business owners, but really look at in a way that is relatable for almost anyone. The team discusses their own struggles and experiences of depression and then go on to unpack some of the ways they each manage these challenges.
We also talk about belonging and acceptance, exercise and diet and affirmation, all simple ways to give yourself a foot up. This is one of the least business-centered episodes of the show, but we promise it is not one to miss!
Key Points From This Episode:
- The constant and rising amount of high profile suicides. [0:04:32.2]
- The unfulfilling nature of success and having it all. [0:08:17.7]
- Why money and freedom do not equal happiness. [0:13:12.1]
- Chase’s own strategies for managing depression. [0:15:25.8]
- Belonging, acceptance and practice as a way to combat the demons. [0:20:32.4]
- Tweaking, trimming and tending your bonsai tree. [0:25:11.2]
- The different levels of depression and seeking serious help. [0:29:16.1]
- Taking responsibility for your day to day mental health. [0:32:28.8]
- The value of exercise and diet as personal tools. [0:36:10.5]
- Practicing affirmations as a way to release the pressure. [0:37:20.5]
- Increased public dialogue and proactive approaches to depression. [0:44:40.4]
- Putting down the things that make you feel trapped. [0:51:15.3]
- Accepting our blessings and doing the hard work. [0:53:50.2]
- And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- HoneyBook — https://www.honeybook.com/fizzle
- Fizzle — https://fizzle.co/
- Fizzle Goals Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/goals
- Fizzle 80/20 Copywriting Guide — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/writing-copy-for-web
- Fizzle Journaling Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/journal
- Fizzle Roadmap — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/small-business-roadmap-1-clarity
- ConvertKit — https://fizzle.co/convertkit
- Courage and Clarity Podcast — https://www.courageandclarity.com/
- Anthony Bourdain — http://www.anthonybourdain.net/
- Kate Spade — https://www.katespade.com/
- Gary Vaynerchuk — https://www.garyvaynerchuk.com/
- Casey Neistat — https://www.caseyneistat.com/
- Ellen Degeneres — https://www.ellentube.com/
- Eddie Murphy — http://www.kennedy-center.org/artist/A227047
- Joe Rogan — https://www.joerogan.com/
- Robin Williams — https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/05/robin-williams-death-biography-dave-itzkoff-excerpt
- Dave Pell — https://nextdraft.com/
- Jim Carrey Interview — http://the-talks.com/interview/jim-carrey/
- Brené Brown — https://brenebrown.com/
- Braving the Wilderness — https://www.amazon.com/Braving-Wilderness-Quest-Belonging-Courage/dp/0812995848
- Karate Kid Part ll. — https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091326/
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline Website — https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline Number — 1-800-273-8255
- Heal Your Body — https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/270435.Heal_Your_Body
- Louise Hay — https://www.louisehay.com/
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. But despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of
Starting a blog can be a life changing decision. I started blogging on a sabbatical while road-tripping through Mexico one year, and had no idea just how much my life would change as a result. Because I started a blog, I have: Reached millions of people Made friends around the
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
Barrett Brooks is COO at ConvertKit, which is a email marketing software for creators (authors, musicians, chefs, filmmakers, comedians, YouTubers, etc.). In this episode, Barrett goes into depth on how to own the relationship between your audience independently of social media and other platforms. By creating your own website, and
Today we have former Co-Host and Co-Founder of The Fizzle Show, Chase Reeves! We catch up with Chase today as he embarks on his own podcast journey with his new show: “Traveling Light,” where he explores the ideas, lifestyles, and habits of pop creatives, thinkers, and makers
Adii Pienaar is founder of WooCommerce and Conversio, both of which he successfully sold. In his new book Life Profitability, Adii gives us a new perspective for becoming self-aware, recognising your values, and understanding your impact.