From FOMO to Focus (FS289)
What does today’s model for success look like? How do you know what to focus on? What is your most direct path to growth and reward?
Our businesses are always evolving and rotating according to our surroundings, our products and ourselves. The path that you end up choosing and taking with your work will obviously define its outcomes and so it is a constant question in our minds.
In this episode, we look specifically at Steph’s other business, Courage and Clarity, as an example of a growing project and the decisions that are necessary in this process. We think about how to figure out the ever-present question of what to work on today and also stress the importance of putting that work in right now.
We talk about letting your business mature, what that maturity means, simplification and raising the stakes. This is the up close and personal look at a business that you have been waiting for!
Tune in and listen to it all!
Key Points From This Episode:
- The evolution and history of the definition of business. [0:06:06]
- An introduction to Courage and Clarity and how it started. [0:08:09.3]
- Courage and Clarity’s first ever in-person retreat. [0:09:52.7]
- A list of recent ventures Steph has made with her business. [0:14:43.2]
- Upping your game where it counts. [0:18:01.9]
- The entrepreneurial treadmill and walking away. [0:19:32.1]
- Simplification and the maturation of your business. [0:24:54.6]
- Doing the work to enjoy doing the work and the issue of time. [0:30:42.2]
- Detaching yourself from the results and connecting to the work. [0:36:50.1]
- Maintaining your energy in your strongest spheres. [0:40:01.6]
- The joy of missing out and saying no to opportunities. [0:44:02.6]
- Letting your passion lead your way and motivate your work. [0:50:21.8]
- The rudder of your business and the keel that stays the course. [0:55:25.3]
- Focussing on profit first and taking care of the basics. [0:59:15.3]
- And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Fizzle — https://fizzle.co/
- It Will Be Exhilarating — https://www.amazon.com/Will-Be-Exhilarating-Dan-Provost-ebook/dp/B0092OPXX4
- The Hard Thing About Hard Things — https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Thing-About-Things-Building/dp/0062273205
- Seth Godin — https://www.sethgodin.com/
- Courage and Clarity — https://www.courageandclarity.com/
- Megan Hale — http://www.megan-hale.com/
- Elizabeth Gilbert — https://www.elizabethgilbert.com/
- Steven Pressfield — https://stevenpressfield.com/
- Pauly Shore — https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001736/
- Sigur Rós — https://sigur-ros.co.uk/
- Gladiator — https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0172495/
- Jason Fried — https://medium.com/@jasonfried
- David Heinemeier Hansson — http://david.heinemeierhansson.com/
- Gary Vaynerchuk — https://www.garyvaynerchuk.com/
- Danielle LaPorte — http://www.daniellelaporte.com/
- Corbett Barr on Twitter — https://twitter.com/CorbettBarr
- Chase Reeves on Twitter — https://twitter.com/chase_reeves
- Fizzle Essentials of Web Design Course — https://fizzle.co/library/essentials-of-website-design-for-business-builders
- Fizzle Website Tune Up Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/tuneup
- Fizzle Roadmap — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/small-business-roadmap-1-clarity
- Start A Blog That Matters Course — https://fizzle.co/start-a-blog-that-matters
- Fizzle 80/20 Copywriting Guide — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/writing-copy-for-web
- Fizzle Goals Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/goals
- Fizzle Journaling Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/journal
- Fizzle Project Management for Entrepreneurs — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/project-management-for-entrepreneurs
- Fizzle Hosting — https://fizzle.co/hosting
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
Is your podcast routine stuck in a rut? If so, we’ve got just what you need! Jane Portman from Userlist joins us on the blog today to share her podcasting genius. Keep reading for 8 experiments you can try when your podcasting routine needs spicing
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. Despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of content
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
Joe Valley is an Author, Guest Speaker, EXITpreneur, Advisor, and Partner at Quiet Light. He has also built, bought, or sold over half a dozen of his own companies. Over the last nine years, Joe has mentored thousands of entrepreneurs whose goal is to achieve their own eventual exit. He
Tiffany Bisconer is a CPA with over 20 years of accounting and tax experience. Tiffany worked with one of the top certified public accounting firms before becoming director of Acena Consulting. She combines her private industry and public accounting experience to work with CPA firms and directly with business owners
This has been an exciting month for Fizzle! We recently announced a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community.