Growth Philosophies: Metrics, Milestones, & Golden Handcuffs (FS331)
Life is too short to do something you hate, why not start your own business? This way you can have much more personal freedom and stability, not to mention an opportunity for creative expression.
The Internet has allowed us to communicate with anyone in the world and has completely opened up the landscape of business. But that doesn’t mean you have to have an eBook and a massive email funnel – you don’t have to do business in any particular way just because you’re using the Internet.
If you’ve missed out on the last several episodes, we’re working though the roadmap that gives you the steps and stages to follow to start your own business, minus all the whingeing that goes along with constantly having to start all over again. We often waste time fiddling with things that aren’t that important, and then we wonder why we’re not making more rapid progress. This is where just-in-time learning comes in to save the day – learning only what you need for what’s in front of you right now.
In this episode we talk about the growth stage. Now that we’ve got a minimum viable product out, we need to know what ideas and systems we need to grow this thing. This might entail hiring some people to help us or defining the specific work we are going to say yes and no to.
We also talk about your personal definition of success and how that should determine the extent to which you grow, and then we get into aligning your metrics and milestones with the specific vision you have for your business. Growth is not easy, but it can be much easier if you listen to what we’ve got to give you today on the Fizzle Show!
Key Points from This Episode:
- Aiden’s current experience travelling Europe as a digital nomad. [0:07:09.0]
- Growing and the ideas we have around how big our business should be. [0:08:36.0]
- How companies have an embedded growth obligation (EGO) to beat competitors. [0:12:43.0]
- Establishing what growth is needed based on what success looks like for you.** [0:15:41.0]**
- You can be successful and not feel successful. [0:21:50.0]
- What kind of growth is enough? And why staying small is an option. [0:22:58.0]
- Aiming for a meaningfully viable income that gives you the outcomes you want. [0:26:47.0]
- There is so much more to business than how much money you’re making. [0:32:30.0]
- How metrics and milestones play a role and why you should track it. [0:37:25.0]
- Why the things you measure aren’t necessarily what you should be measuring. [0:41:29.0]
- Vanity metrics aren’t real indicators of the growth that you specifically seek. [0:46:06.0]
- The trick for pulling out key performance indicators that actually matter. [0:48:42.0]
- What milestones are and how to make sure that they’re SMART. [0:55:09.0]
- How good metrics and milestones give momentum to your business. [1:03:43.0]
- And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Fizzle — https://fizzle.co
- Fizzle Roadmap — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/small-business-roadmap-1-clarity
- Aiden Fishbein — https://vitals.agency/blog/author/aiden/
- Megafishbein.com –– http://www.megafishbein.com/
- Ebenezer Scrooge — https://www.britannica.com/topic/Ebenezer-Scrooge
- Mr Money Mustache — https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/
- Company of One of Amazon — https://www.amazon.com/Company-One-Staying-Small-Business/dp/1328972356
- Jim Collins — https://www.jimcollins.com/
- Fizzle Productivity Essentials — https://app.fizzle.co/library/productivity-essentials
- Chase Reeves — https://www.youtube.com/user/chasereeves
- Fizzle Name Evaluator — https://fizzle.co/?s=name+evaluator
- Fizzle Customer Conversations Course — https://app.fizzle.co/courses/customer-conversations
- Fizzle Goals Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/goals
- Fizzle on Twitter — https://twitter.com/fizzle
- Fizzle Just Ship It Challenge — https://app.fizzle.co/just-ship-it-challenge
- Fizzle Sparkline — https://fizzle.co/sparkline
- Fizzle Journaling Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/journal
- Fizzle Essentials of Web Design Course — https://fizzle.co/library/essentials-of-website-design-for-business-builders
- Fizzle Website Tune Up Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/tuneup
- Fizzle 80/20 Copywriting Guide — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/writing-copy-for-web
- Fizzle Project Management for Entrepreneurs — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/project-management-for-entrepreneurs
- Fizzle Hosting — https://fizzle.co/hosting
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. Despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of content
Starting a blog can be a life changing decision. I started blogging on a sabbatical while road-tripping through Mexico one year, and had no idea just how much my life would change as a result. Because I started a blog, I have: Reached millions of people Made friends around the
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
Joe Valley is an Author, Guest Speaker, EXITpreneur, Advisor, and Partner at Quiet Light. He has also built, bought, or sold over half a dozen of his own companies. Over the last nine years, Joe has mentored thousands of entrepreneurs whose goal is to achieve their own eventual exit. He
Tiffany Bisconer is a CPA with over 20 years of accounting and tax experience. Tiffany worked with one of the top certified public accounting firms before becoming director of Acena Consulting. She combines her private industry and public accounting experience to work with CPA firms and directly with business owners
This has been an exciting month for Fizzle! We recently announced a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community.