Have Enough Space For Your Biz, Don’t Just Quit (FS309)
Are you ever confronted with the problem of finding enough time to do everything you’d like to do as an entrepreneur? Do you battle to focus on just one task and find yourself working on several things simultaneously, just to realize that you have not been productive at the end of the day?
A common problem many new entrepreneurs experience is trying to start their business on the side while still doing another full-time job. Is it possible to sustain your energy levels in these circumstances?
Today on the show we are joined by Fizzle team members, Aiden Fishbein and Jen Rao, who share some of the valuable lessons they have learned in starting a new business while still managing a day job. Why is the standard advice from the many talking heads out there not always viable? How do I cope with my entrepreneurial aspirations and taxing full-time work?
Aiden and Jen advise listeners on finding the type of employment that allows you to preserve your energy and creativity for your own endeavor, explaining in more detail why minimal viable employment is what you should be aiming for.
We discuss more about risk and how it has been applicable in Jen’s life, unravelling the joy that simplification and pared down expenses can introduce to your life. But what is required for a person to sell your house, pack up shop and embrace a simpler kind of life? Is it something that anyone can do? Tune in today to find out how you can escape the fast lane so that you can live the life you want.
Key Points From This Episode:
- The dream of the internet. [0:02:41.0]
- Why time is a big challenge for entrepreneurs. [0:04:30.0]
- What to do to accomplish something meaningful in a day. [0:05:35.0]
- The difficulty with starting your own business on the side. [0:05:50.0]
- The regular advice for those starting their own business. [0:09:00.0]
- More about Gary Vaynerchuk and hustling. [0:09:18.0]
- Finding time around the gaps in your day job. [0:10:26.0]
- The benefit of minimal viable employment. [0:11:38.0]
- The concept of risk and the four rings. [0:17:26.0]
- Applying the complexity circle to Jen’s experience. [0:22:38.0]
- The joy of paring down your expenses. [0:26:22.0]
- Having faith that things will work out. [0:30:14.0]
- The importance of having the right attitude. [0:31:54.0]
- Why careful planning is vital before quitting your job. [0:36:50.0]
- Creating a new normal. [0:40:19.0]
- Figuring out what you want your emotions to be like. [0:44:44:0]
- The importance of recognizing your energetic state. [0:49:27:0]
- Who are your gurus? [0:52:02:0]
- The sunny and shady side of building your own business. [0:53:50:0]
- How a pessimistic viewpoint can help you succeed. [0:58:05:0]
- Honoring the fact that you do not know everything [1:04:19:0]
- Why restructuring your current job could be an option [1:07:00:0]
- And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Fizzle — https://fizzle.co/
- Fizzle on Twitter — https://twitter.com/fizzle
- Aiden Fishbein — https://www.linkedin.com/in/aiden-fishbein-05156830
- Jen Rao — https://clearyourlife.ca/
- Gary Vaynerchuk — https://www.garyvaynerchuk.com/
- Gary Vaynerchuk at Web 2.0 Expo 2008 — https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhqZ0RU95d4
- Burt Reynolds — https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000608/
- ConvertKit Conference — https://convertkit.com/
- Abraham Hicks — https://www.abraham-hicks.com/
- Fizzle Roadmap — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/small-business-roadmap-1-clarity
- Corbett Barr — https://corbettbarr.com/
- Alan Watts — https://www.alanwatts.org/life-of-alan-watts/
- Bill Gates on Twitter — https://twitter.com/BillGates
- Elon Musk on Twitter — https://twitter.com/elonmusk
- Dale Carnegie — https://www.dalecarnegie.com/en
- Think and Grow Rich on Amazon — https://www.amazon.com/Think-Grow-Rich-Napoleon-Hill/dp/0449214923
- The Power of Positive Thinking on Amazon — https://www.amazon.com/Power-Positive-Thinking-Norman-Vincent/dp/0743234804
- TED Talks — https://www.ted.com/talks
- Tim Ferriss — https://tim.blog/
- Woop — http://woopmylife.org/woop-1
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
Is your podcast routine stuck in a rut? If so, we’ve got just what you need! Jane Portman from Userlist joins us on the blog today to share her podcasting genius. Keep reading for 8 experiments you can try when your podcasting routine needs spicing
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. Despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of content
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
Joe Valley is an Author, Guest Speaker, EXITpreneur, Advisor, and Partner at Quiet Light. He has also built, bought, or sold over half a dozen of his own companies. Over the last nine years, Joe has mentored thousands of entrepreneurs whose goal is to achieve their own eventual exit. He
Tiffany Bisconer is a CPA with over 20 years of accounting and tax experience. Tiffany worked with one of the top certified public accounting firms before becoming director of Acena Consulting. She combines her private industry and public accounting experience to work with CPA firms and directly with business owners
This has been an exciting month for Fizzle! We recently announced a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community.