How do I Know Which Product to Make? (FS329)
How do we figure out what we should make in our business? How can we tell if that product is going to be viable and profitable?
What are the main things to consider in this stage of your business journey, where you need to make some big leaps?
Going from the planning stages into production and actual business is obviously scary, it can also be massively exciting and really is the first time you get to share your work with the world. That being said, care and caution must be taken when putting yourself out there, more so in aid of building towards the future than protecting your ego.
In this episode we situate this topic in the larger series that we have been running about your business roadmap. We talk about how this section of work is the meaty and juicy centre of your business; after planning and before everything else. We discuss essentials such as minimal viable products, feedback and criticism and the factors that go into big decisions.
We also talk about how to really approach solving a problem for people and how a service can be a great way to enter a market and build towards more products in the future. So for all that, be sure to join us on the Fizzle Show!
Key Points From This Episode:
- How the idea of product creation fits into the larger business roadmap. [0:05:01.5]
- Giving people a solution and finding revenue through that. [0:10:45.3]
- Sniff tests and product validation before going to market. [0:13:41.7]
- MVP’s, feedback and getting fresh inspiration from customers. [0:17:49.1]
- Self-created bubbles and playing at business rather than real work. [0:26:15.6]
- Understanding criticisms and pulling out the value amid the thorns. [0:34:02.3]
- Job descriptions, fulfilling duties and wearing the necessary hats. [0:37:34.8]
- Becoming a scientist in your business and acknowledging the data. [0:42:51.5]
- Your product as the package that contains a solution to a problem. [0:45:11.3]
- Coming up with actual product ideas and attaching these to a need. [0:50:13.2]
- Using a service as the entry point and early MVP for your products. [0:53:35.8]
- Recapping the importance of emotional stoicism and attrition. [0:58:21.4]
- And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Fizzle — https://fizzle.co
- Fizzle Roadmap — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/small-business-roadmap-1-clarity
- Justin Jackson — https://justinjackson.ca/
- Dick Van Dyke — http://www.officialdickvandyke.com/
- Dick Cavett — https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0147118/
- Orson Welles — https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000080/
- Palapa — https://palapa.co/
- Tim Ferriss — https://tim.blog/
- Ira Glass — https://www.thisamericanlife.org/extras/ira-glass-on-storytelling
- The E-Myth — https://www.amazon.com/Myth-Revisited-Small-Businesses-About/dp/0887307280
- Work With Chase — https://www.workwithchase.com/
- Bird by Bird — https://www.amazon.com/Bird-Some-Instructions-Writing-Life/dp/0385480016
- Marie Forleo — https://www.marieforleo.com/
- Fizzle Name Evaluator — https://fizzle.co/?s=name+evaluator
- The Fizzle Jump Start Bundle — https://fizzle.co/jumpstart
- Jen Rao — https://clearyourlife.ca
- Chase Reeves — https://www.youtube.com/user/chasereeves
- Corbett Barr on Twitter — https://twitter.com/CorbettBarr
- Aiden Fishbein — https://twitter.com/megafishbein?ref_src
- Fizzle Customer Conversations Course — https://app.fizzle.co/courses/customer-conversations
- Fizzle Goals Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/goals
- Fizzle on Twitter — https://twitter.com/fizzle
- Fizzle Just Ship It Challenge — https://app.fizzle.co/just-ship-it-challenge
- Fizzle Sparkline — https://fizzle.co/sparkline
- Fizzle Journaling Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/journal
- Fizzle Essentials of Web Design Course — https://fizzle.co/library/essentials-of-website-design-for-business-builders
- Fizzle Website Tune Up Curse — https://fizzle.co/courses/tuneup
- Fizzle 80/20 Copywriting Guide — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/writing-copy-for-web
- Fizzle Project Management for Entrepreneurs — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/project-management-for-entrepreneurs
- Fizzle Hosting — https://fizzle.co/hosting
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
Is your podcast routine stuck in a rut? If so, we’ve got just what you need! Jane Portman from Better Done Than Perfect joins us on the blog today to share her podcasting genius. Keep reading for 8 experiments you can try when your podcasting
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. Despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of content
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
Joe Valley is an Author, Guest Speaker, EXITpreneur, Advisor, and Partner at Quiet Light. He has also built, bought, or sold over half a dozen of his own companies. Over the last nine years, Joe has mentored thousands of entrepreneurs whose goal is to achieve their own eventual exit. He
Tiffany Bisconer is a CPA with over 20 years of accounting and tax experience. Tiffany worked with one of the top certified public accounting firms before becoming director of Acena Consulting. She combines her private industry and public accounting experience to work with CPA firms and directly with business owners
This has been an exciting month for Fizzle! We recently announced a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community.