Learning from Pain via Post-Mortems (FS295)
What’s the best way to ensure we do not make the same mistakes twice? What can post-mortems, reviews and retrospectives teach us about the future?
During the life of an entrepreneur it is pretty much a given that there will be successes and failures over the years. We are sure you’ll agree that the best way to increase the number of successes as time goes by is to learn from past failures. That’s where the idea of the post-mortem comes in!
In this episode, we break down why post-mortems are necessary, how they really function, and exactly how they can be practically applied to different business models.
Today on the show we are joined by our friend, Aiden Fishbein, who came up with the concept for today’s show. He really leads the discussion and lays out some great frameworks for approaching this task.
Download the Workbook![br/]Fizzle’s guide to Post-Mortems
We also talk about the risk of over analysis, post-mortems as a symptom of your companies communication habits, and how even the worst failure can have a silver lining to carry forward.
For this great conversation be sure to tune in!
Key Points From This Episode:
• The value of a postmortem and how this helps when starting something new. [0:04:01.5]
• Aiden’s early work, experiences and how he built his portfolio. [0:07:40.8]
• Duplicating success and learning from mistakes through retrospectives. [0:11:15.1]
• Setting out your ideal clients and slowly getting closer to these. [0:15:52.8]
• Balancing risks and calculated strategies as an entrepreneur. [0:19:25.4]
• Practical application of this idea across different types of business. [0:24:17.7]
• The usefulness of striving for objectivity on your projects. [0:33:20.3]
• Finding the silver lining in a bad project. [0:37:02.3]
• Year end round ups and learning from the past. [0:41:10.2]
• The postmortem cheat sheet and checking off the list. [0:45:55.7]
• Communication and its centrality to the success of an organization. [0:53:02.8]
• And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
• Fizzle — https://fizzle.co/
• Discover.bot — https://discover.bot/fizzle/
• A beginner’s guide to bots — https://discover.bot/bot-talk/beginners-guide-bots/
• Aiden Fishbein — https://vitals.agency/blog/author/aiden/
• Tony Robbins — https://www.tonyrobbins.com/
• Dan Tocchini — http://dantocchini.com/
• Episode 295 — http://fizzleshow.com/295
• Steph Crowder on Twitter — https://twitter.com/stephcrowder_
• Corbett Barr on Twitter — https://twitter.com/CorbettBarr
• Chase Reeves on Twitter — https://twitter.com/chase_reeves
• Fizzle Sparkline — https://fizzle.co/sparkline
• Fizzle Goals Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/goals
• Fizzle Journaling Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/journal
• Fizzle Try 5 — https://fizzle.co/try5
• Fizzle Essentials of Web Design Course — https://fizzle.co/library/essentials-of-website-design-for-business-builders
• Fizzle Website Tune Up Curse — https://fizzle.co/courses/tuneup
• Fizzle Roadmap — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/small-business-roadmap-1-clarity
• Start A Blog That Matters Course — https://fizzle.co/start-a-blog-that-matters
• Fizzle 80/20 Copywriting Guide — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/writing-copy-for-web
• Fizzle Project Management for Entrepreneurs — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/project-management-for-entrepreneurs
• Fizzle Hosting — https://fizzle.co/hosting
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. Despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of content
Starting a blog can be a life changing decision. I started blogging on a sabbatical while road-tripping through Mexico one year, and had no idea just how much my life would change as a result. Because I started a blog, I have: Reached millions of people Made friends around the
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
Joe Valley is an Author, Guest Speaker, EXITpreneur, Advisor, and Partner at Quiet Light. He has also built, bought, or sold over half a dozen of his own companies. Over the last nine years, Joe has mentored thousands of entrepreneurs whose goal is to achieve their own eventual exit. He
Tiffany Bisconer is a CPA with over 20 years of accounting and tax experience. Tiffany worked with one of the top certified public accounting firms before becoming director of Acena Consulting. She combines her private industry and public accounting experience to work with CPA firms and directly with business owners
This has been an exciting month for Fizzle! We recently announced a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community.