Name Picking Paralysis? Don’t Overcomplicate Your Business Setup (FS326)
If you’ve tuned into the Fizzle Show, it means that you might actually be doing something you care about. Maybe you’re looking for sovereignty, autonomy but also for more fun. There could be something inside of you that just screams for more independence and creativity. There is a lot of potential and opportunity in life – remember, you are not painted into a corner, you are free to do whatever you want, the things that you love.
Often in life it feels like there is such momentum, such force that pulls you into a certain lifestyle, but you don’t have to conform. Who says it has to be that way? A lot of people are just going through the motions while others are realizing that this is not a mode they have to keep operating in.
Some people are coming up with new ideas and finding new ways to make a life for themselves and their families. And you’ll hear this a lot coming from us: published is better than perfect. It’s better to just do the thing, even if it’s not perfect, and get yourself out there on the journey toward starting your own business.
In this episode we’re talking about a specific phase on our Fizzle Roadmap – SETUP. We’ve been talking about and breaking apart all the phases of business over the last few episodes, and highlighting this one aspect in our conversation today. We also talk extensively about naming your business, how to go about registering it, getting all your legal ducks in a row, which kind of tasks to start the day off with, and a whole bunch more – so don’t miss out on this one!
Key Points From This Episode:
- An overview of what the setup phase is all about and why it can be paralyzing. [0:04:47.0]
- How and why Jen picked the name of her business and now wanting to change it. [0:07:33.0]
- Considering the legal side of your business and when to get more serious. [0:11:08.0]
- Thinking about risk when naming and registering your business. [0:14:57.0]
- Why the way you name things such as tasks or businesses is really important. [0:17:44.0]
- How a name can gain momentum as a business finds its own energy over time. [0:20:12.0]
- Fizzle’s Name Evaluator and the criteria for choosing the right business name. [0:25:14.0]
- Identifying what you want to finish every day and starting with the worst task. [0:29:23.0]
- Having to deal with the all-important ‘infrastructure’ even though its dull. [0:32:41.0]
- Helpful resources and the role of an accountant in helping you get set up. [0:37:20.0]
- Our inclination to procrastinate difficult tasks such as dealing with the government. [0:41:35.0]
- What to do if your name is already trademarked but your still have the domain and social channels. [0:43:34.0]
- Realizing that you can be part of finding solutions for a global network of people. [0:49:29.0]
- Tips for moving from playing to actually doing business. [0:54:16.0]
- And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Fizzle — https://fizzle.co
- Fizzle Roadmap — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/small-business-roadmap-1-clarity
- Fizzle Name Evaluator — https://fizzle.co/?s=name+evaluator
- Bench — https://bench.co/
- LegalZoom — https://www.legalzoom.com/
- Dropbox — https://www.dropbox.com/h
- Far and Away — https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104231/
- Jen Rao — https://clearyourlife.ca
- Corbett Barr on Twitter — https://twitter.com/CorbettBarr
- Aiden Fishbein — https://twitter.com/megafishbein?ref_src
- Fizzle Customer Conversations Course — https://app.fizzle.co/courses/customer-conversations
- Fizzle Define Your Audience Course — https://fizzle.co/guides/defining-your-audience
- Fizzle Goals Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/goals
- Fizzle on Twitter — https://twitter.com/fizzle
- Fizzle Just Ship It Challenge — https://app.fizzle.co/just-ship-it-challenge
- Fizzle Sparkline — https://fizzle.co/sparkline
- Fizzle Journaling Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/journal
- Fizzle Essentials of Web Design Course — https://fizzle.co/library/essentials-of-website-design-for-business-builders
- Fizzle Website Tune Up Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/tuneup
- Fizzle 80/20 Copywriting Guide — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/writing-copy-for-web
- Fizzle Project Management for Entrepreneurs — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/project-management-for-entrepreneurs
- Fizzle Hosting — https://fizzle.co/hosting
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. But despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of
Starting a blog can be a life changing decision. I started blogging on a sabbatical while road-tripping through Mexico one year, and had no idea just how much my life would change as a result. Because I started a blog, I have: Reached millions of people Made friends around the
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
Barrett Brooks is COO at ConvertKit, which is a email marketing software for creators (authors, musicians, chefs, filmmakers, comedians, YouTubers, etc.). In this episode, Barrett goes into depth on how to own the relationship between your audience independently of social media and other platforms. By creating your own website, and
Today we have former Co-Host and Co-Founder of The Fizzle Show, Chase Reeves! We catch up with Chase today as he embarks on his own podcast journey with his new show: “Traveling Light,” where he explores the ideas, lifestyles, and habits of pop creatives, thinkers, and makers
Adii Pienaar is founder of WooCommerce and Conversio, both of which he successfully sold. In his new book Life Profitability, Adii gives us a new perspective for becoming self-aware, recognising your values, and understanding your impact.