Networking, Avoiding Hard Stuff & Lessons Learned Making 100 Projects in 1 Year
If you are stuck in the romantic notion of what it looks like to create a business and you need some motivation to stop running away from the hard work, you’re going to love this episode.
On today’s show we are joined by none other than Justin Jackson, who went from having a day job to being a successful author and creating 100 projects in one year, all to show that it is possible for you to become an indie entrepreneur (even in Canada!).
Justin is the founder of MegaMaker, where he advises software, SaaS, and digital product companies. His books, Marketing for Developers and Jolt have sold thousands of copies, and truly saved him from bankruptcy. On his blog and in his podcast he focuses mainly on topics like product marketing, helping entrepreneurs and software companies around the world.
Inside this episode Justin shares his experience of pursing his indie entrepreneur dream and how he got caught up in the romantic fantasy of what it’s really like to start a business. Justin gets vulnerable, revealing that his initial motivation for creating 100 projects in a year was to impress others and get approval from celebrity entrepreneurs, instead of doubling down on what was already working for him. Plus, he gets super real with us about how you absolutely cannot avoid the hard work that entrepreneurship requires.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Why Justin could not have been an indie entrepreneur without a strong network. [0:03:32.1]
- The turning point that opened up the possibility for Justin to quit his day job. [0:06:30.1]
- An overview of Justin’s books, and whether or not they are right for you. [0:09:36.1]
- A single blog post that put Justin on the map; This is a webpage. [0:10:124.1]
- Justin’s journey of creating 100 projects in a year. [0:14:50.1]
- Learning not to get caught up in the romantic fantasy of being a business owner. [0:25:44.1]
- Identifying your motivations behind starting a business; do they align with your values? [0:29:29.1]
- Biggest lessons Justin learned from his challenge of creating 100 projects in a year. [0:36:39.1]
- Why we get caught up in the idea that “the grass is greener on the other side”. [0:46:39.1]
- Recognizing that you have to lean in to your discomfort, fully owning your story. [0:49:02.1
- Understanding that the beginning stage of every business is difficult. [0:55:19.1]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- FreshBooks — https://freshbooks.com/fizzle
- Justin Jackson — https://justinjackson.ca/
- Justin on Twitter — https://twitter.com/mijustin
- Mega Profitable — https://megamaker.co/profit/
- MegaMaker — https://megamaker.co/
- Marketing for Developers — https://devmarketing.xyz/
- Jolt — https://justinjackson.ca/jolt/
- Product People Podcast — http://www.productpeople.tv/
- Build and Launch Podcast — https://buildandlaunch.net/podcast/
- MegaMaker Podcast — http://podcast.megamaker.co/
- This is a Webpage article — https://justinjackson.ca/words.html
- Jason Zook — https://jasondoesstuff.com/
- Heroku — https://www.heroku.com/
- Peter Levels — https://levels.io/
- Jeff Sheldon — https://shop.ugmonk.com/
- Tobias van Schneider — http://www.vanschneider.com/
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
Is your podcast routine stuck in a rut? If so, we’ve got just what you need! Jane Portman from Userlist joins us on the blog today to share her podcasting genius. Keep reading for 8 experiments you can try when your podcasting routine needs spicing
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. Despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of content
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
Joe Valley is an Author, Guest Speaker, EXITpreneur, Advisor, and Partner at Quiet Light. He has also built, bought, or sold over half a dozen of his own companies. Over the last nine years, Joe has mentored thousands of entrepreneurs whose goal is to achieve their own eventual exit. He
Tiffany Bisconer is a CPA with over 20 years of accounting and tax experience. Tiffany worked with one of the top certified public accounting firms before becoming director of Acena Consulting. She combines her private industry and public accounting experience to work with CPA firms and directly with business owners
This has been an exciting month for Fizzle! We recently announced a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community.