Partnering with Clients: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (FS298)
How can a new client partnership help grow your business? When is the right time to enter into something you believe will be mutually beneficial? What are the questions you need to ask yourself before making a decision on this front?
It is hard to imagine the online business world of today without partnerships, endorsements collaborations and picking the right ones can take your business further than you might have imagined. But that does not mean that every connection is a good one or that you should jump through endless hoops just to get a cosign!
In this episode, we look at a bunch of angles relating to this question and try and help you figure out the best process for picking the right way through potential business negotiations. We get into the idea of dream partnerships, when to draw a line in the sand and the most important factor, understanding value.
We also talk about bags, cars and phones, drawing on many examples and metaphors of how you can understand the exchange that takes place in any good partnership.
For all this and more, come and join us!
Today’s episode of The Fizzle Show is brought to you by Bench, the largest bookkeeping service for small business owners like you. With Bench, a team of real humans do your books for you, and deliver tax-ready financial statements so you can know exactly what the financial health of your business is, every month.
Bench is offering a free month of bookkeeping to Fizzle Show listeners. Sign up, and Bench will do a full month of your books at no charge. Then, if you decide Bench is right for you, get 20% off your first six months—just for being a friend of Fizzle. Bench does your bookkeeping for you, so you can focus on running your business.
Sign up for free: https://bench.co/partner/fizzle/
Key Points From This Episode:
• New cars, new phones and the excitement around purchasing. [0:04:59.3]
• The example from the forum that sparked this conversation. [0:11:57.6]
• Considering a new partnership from both perspectives. [0:15:35.1]
• The concerns of a contractor when approached by a business owner. [0:19:10.4]
• Figuring out a route to tackle a client’s concerns. [0:23:01.6]
• Corbett and Chase’s own experience of entering into a partnership for Fizzle. [0:25:50.9]
• Podcast sponsorships and the uncertainty of value. [0:30:59.4]
• Do not undervalue yourself! [0:37:20.3]
• Recapping the exercises relevant to these decisions. [0:42:22.6]
• Keeping track of ways in which you are growing for sustainability. [0:46:01.2]
• Maintaining a baseline and adventuring out from there. [0:50:30.3]
• The self reliance quotient and building a solid foundation using a spreadsheet. [0:55:12.5]
• Finding a middle ground in a negotiation with a potential partner. [0:58:57.8]
• And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
• Chase’s Special LA Event – https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-revenant-process-jan-31st-feb-3rd-2019-tickets-52378590775
• Fizzle — https://fizzle.co/
• Gusto — https://gusto.com/fizzle
• Rover — https://www.rover.com/fizzle
• Bench — https://bench.co/partner/fizzle
• The Third Tier Theory — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/third-tier-theory-networking
• Gary Vaynerchuk — https://www.garyvaynerchuk.com/
• Seth Godin — https://www.sethgodin.com/
• Pam Slim — https://pamelaslim.com/
• Marie Forleo — https://www.marieforleo.com/
• Pat Flynn — https://www.smartpassiveincome.com/
• Big Mouth — https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6524350/
• Aiden Fishbein — https://vitals.agency/blog/author/aiden/
• Corbett Barr on Twitter — https://twitter.com/CorbettBarr
• Chase Reeves on Twitter — https://twitter.com/chase_reeves
• Fizzle Sparkline — https://fizzle.co/sparkline
• Fizzle Goals Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/goals
• Fizzle Journaling Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/journal
• Fizzle Try 5 — https://fizzle.co/try5
• Fizzle Essentials of Web Design Course — https://fizzle.co/library/essentials-of-website-design-for-business-builders
• Fizzle Website Tune Up Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/tuneup
• Fizzle Roadmap — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/small-business-roadmap-1-clarity
• Start A Blog That Matters Course — https://fizzle.co/start-a-blog-that-matters
• Fizzle 80/20 Copywriting Guide — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/writing-copy-for-web
• Fizzle Project Management for Entrepreneurs — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/project-management-for-entrepreneurs
• Fizzle Hosting — https://fizzle.co/hosting
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. But despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of
Starting a blog can be a life changing decision. I started blogging on a sabbatical while road-tripping through Mexico one year, and had no idea just how much my life would change as a result. Because I started a blog, I have: Reached millions of people Made friends around the
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
Barrett Brooks is COO at ConvertKit, which is a email marketing software for creators (authors, musicians, chefs, filmmakers, comedians, YouTubers, etc.). In this episode, Barrett goes into depth on how to own the relationship between your audience independently of social media and other platforms. By creating your own website, and
Today we have former Co-Host and Co-Founder of The Fizzle Show, Chase Reeves! We catch up with Chase today as he embarks on his own podcast journey with his new show: “Traveling Light,” where he explores the ideas, lifestyles, and habits of pop creatives, thinkers, and makers
Adii Pienaar is founder of WooCommerce and Conversio, both of which he successfully sold. In his new book Life Profitability, Adii gives us a new perspective for becoming self-aware, recognising your values, and understanding your impact.