Is it Possible to Support Your Family From an Indie Business? Yes. Just Listen to This.
Is it actually possible to support your family over the long-haul with an independent online small business?
Like, is it actually possible?
Or are we all just kind of hoping that our blog or podcast or freelancing business will last?
Well this episode right here is your answer. In it we learn exactly how possible it truly is… AND we get to hear from a real buddha of online biz; a mentor to many of us because he’s been doing it for so much longer than most of us.
Creating your own business is not about making it easy; there is still going to be work that needs to be done. That said, it is POSSIBLE to create a life that is less stressful, more prosperous, and purposefully designed to support your dreams and your family all at once.
Steve Maxwell is the founder of Bailey Line Road Chronicles, and he’s been supporting himself and his family through his writing and web work for almost 25 years now.
Steve shares his journey with us, and how he has transitioned over the years, from typewriter, to fax, to building an email list that is truly your own.
We also dive into the conversation of what it means to understand what the market wants and learning how to build your own dream in the big, open ocean instead of splashing around in someone else’s fishbowl, unfulfilled and unsatisfied.
(Note: this fishbowl thing will literally stay with you forever once you hear it.)
It IS possible to sustain yourself and your family over the long-haul with your indie business. Learn exactly what that’s like in this episode. Enjoy!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Constantly keeping up with the changes in technology to gain a competitive edge. [0:11:55.0]
- The biggest changes in social media platforms over the last year. [0:13:51.0]
- The importance of your email list, and why that connection is critical for business. [0:23:50.0]
- How to build a successful business and live the life you actually want to live. [0:25:38.0]
- Understanding the concepts of being in the fishbowl versus the open ocean. [0:27:49.0]
- The analogy of ‘getting the boxcar rolling’ and giving your ideas time to grow. [0:33:31.0]
- Identifying your core motivation for making your business success. [0:36:40.0]
- Why growing your business should be like growing an oak tree, not a radish. [0:38:23.0]
- Advice for starting your business on the side while still working a day job. [0:43:49.0]
Powerful Quotes from this episode:
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- FreshBooks — https://freshbooks.com/fizzle
- Fizzle on Twitter — https://twitter.com/fizzle
- Steve Maxwell — https://baileylineroad.com/
- Steve on Twitter — https://twitter.com/baileylineroad
- Steve on YouTube — https://www.youtube.com/user/smaxwell1963
- Storyblocks — https://www.storyblocks.com/fizzle
- The Tuneup Your Website Desperately Needs — https://fizzle.co/tuneup
- Start Your Fizzle Trial — https://fizzle.co/
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. But despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of
Starting a blog can be a life changing decision. I started blogging on a sabbatical while road-tripping through Mexico one year, and had no idea just how much my life would change as a result. Because I started a blog, I have: Reached millions of people Made friends around the
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
Barrett Brooks is COO at ConvertKit, which is a email marketing software for creators (authors, musicians, chefs, filmmakers, comedians, YouTubers, etc.). In this episode, Barrett goes into depth on how to own the relationship between your audience independently of social media and other platforms. By creating your own website, and
Today we have former Co-Host and Co-Founder of The Fizzle Show, Chase Reeves! We catch up with Chase today as he embarks on his own podcast journey with his new show: “Traveling Light,” where he explores the ideas, lifestyles, and habits of pop creatives, thinkers, and makers
Adii Pienaar is founder of WooCommerce and Conversio, both of which he successfully sold. In his new book Life Profitability, Adii gives us a new perspective for becoming self-aware, recognising your values, and understanding your impact.