The 3 Habits That Grew His Business to 428,000 Email Subscribers (FS288)
How can we live better lives? Do you want to implement great habits in order to achieve your goals? What determines the success of our attempts when trying to form habits?
We cannot really have a conversation about successful business owners and entrepreneurs without discussing the importance of habits and the systems that allow them to build their dreams. But what is formula to implementing this?
In this episode we get down to the real essence of habits, their relationship to individual and social identity and how they are formed. We unpack these ideas to better understand the cycle of improvement that we all should really be trying to embody.
Today on the show we are joined by James Clear, the author of Atomic Habits, the creator of the Habits Academy, a weightlifter, and a travel photographer in over 30 countries. James is basically a habit expert and has loads of great ways to unpack these ideas for everyone’s benefit
We also talk about the concept of one percent better, the explore-exploit tradeoff, adaptability and reinvention. James has a bunch of really useful frameworks and distinctions that will undoubtedly progress your thinking in this area.
For a particularly inspiring and thought provoking conversation be sure to check this episode out!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Understanding the compounding effect of the one percent better concept. [0:05:12.4]
- Decision making and habits as the two pillars of success. [0:10:01.2]
- The difference between goals and systems. [0:15:36.3]
- The cardinal rule of behavior change and waiting for results. [0:20:28.4]
- Identity conflicts making changes stick through your beliefs about self. [0:26:30.3]
- Adaptability and the potential to reinvent yourself. [0:33:25.1]
- Some of James’ systems that he has used to build his site. [0:35:20.8]
- The real value of ideas and how to house them effectively. [0:39:00.4]
- James’ most valued habits for his health and business. [0:40:47.6]
- Atomic Habits and what James hopes its readers will gain. [0:46:05.3]
- The evolution of systems and the importance of reflection and review. [0:50:31.6]
- And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Fizzle — https://fizzle.co/
- James Clear — https://jamesclear.com/
- Atomic Habits — https://www.amazon.com/Atomic-Habits-Proven-Build-Break/dp/0735211299
- Elon Musk — https://www.forbes.com/profile/elon-musk/#2ba127667999
- Gary Vaynerchuk — https://www.garyvaynerchuk.com/
- Seth Godin — https://www.sethgodin.com/
- Entrepreneur — https://www.entrepreneur.com/
- TIME — http://time.com/
- New York Times — https://www.nytimes.com/
- CBS — https://www.cbs.com/
- Derek Sivers — https://sivers.org/
- Scott Adams — https://www.linkedin.com/in/scott-adams-52b1595a
- Dilbert — http://dilbert.com/
- Evernote — https://evernote.com/
- Why Facts Don’t Change Our Minds — https://jamesclear.com/why-facts-dont-change-minds
- Niall Ferguson — http://www.niallferguson.com/
- Slack — https://slack.com/
- Fizzle Essentials of Web Design Course — https://fizzle.co/library/essentials-of-website-design-for-business-builders
- Fizzle Website Tune Up Curse — https://fizzle.co/courses/tuneup
- Fizzle Roadmap — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/small-business-roadmap-1-clarity
- Courage and Clarity — https://www.courageandclarity.com/
- Corbett Barr on Twitter — https://twitter.com/CorbettBarr
- Chase Reeves on Twitter — https://twitter.com/chase_reeves
- Start A Blog That Matters Course — https://fizzle.co/start-a-blog-that-matters
- Fizzle 80/20 Copywriting Guide — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/writing-copy-for-web
- Fizzle Goals Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/goals
- Fizzle Journaling Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/journal
- Fizzle Project Management for Entrepreneurs — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/project-management-for-entrepreneurs
- Fizzle Hosting — https://fizzle.co/hosting
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. But despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of
Starting a blog can be a life changing decision. I started blogging on a sabbatical while road-tripping through Mexico one year, and had no idea just how much my life would change as a result. Because I started a blog, I have: Reached millions of people Made friends around the
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
Barrett Brooks is COO at ConvertKit, which is a email marketing software for creators (authors, musicians, chefs, filmmakers, comedians, YouTubers, etc.). In this episode, Barrett goes into depth on how to own the relationship between your audience independently of social media and other platforms. By creating your own website, and
Today we have former Co-Host and Co-Founder of The Fizzle Show, Chase Reeves! We catch up with Chase today as he embarks on his own podcast journey with his new show: “Traveling Light,” where he explores the ideas, lifestyles, and habits of pop creatives, thinkers, and makers
Adii Pienaar is founder of WooCommerce and Conversio, both of which he successfully sold. In his new book Life Profitability, Adii gives us a new perspective for becoming self-aware, recognising your values, and understanding your impact.