Ultralearning: Learn and Master Skills Faster with Scott H Young (FS340)
How can we, as entrepreneurs, continue to stay abreast of all the new information and skills in circulation?
Is there a way to fast track learning and at the same time make it meaningful and effective?
What really happens in our brains when we try and adopt something new?
Today on the show we are joined by Scott H Young, author of the Wall Street Journal Bestseller, Ultralearning. The book aims to arm readers with actionable strategies and techniques for faster, more accurate learning and skill acquisition. Scott is a writer, programmer, traveler and avid reader, who has spent the last 15 years as a successful blogger and entrepreneur.
This episode will give you a taste of the book and its contents, which promises to help you master hard skills, outsmart the competition and accelerate your career. We discuss the process of learning new skills, staying relevant and reinventing yourself, all things that Scott believes are vital to success as an entrepreneur in today’s world.
For all this inspiring information, from an author with so much to offer, be sure to join us on the Fizzle Show!
Today’s episode is brought to you by Podia.
Podia is a Swiss Army Knife for selling anything you need online. It’s an all-in-one digital storefront where you can sell courses, memberships, and digital downloads all in one place.
The cool thing about Podia is that they eliminate all the technical headaches. You don’t have to install anything, you can host your sales pages there, your files, your checkout process. You can even do your email marketing and your newsletters from Podia!
Fizzle Show listeners can get 15% off of Podia FOR LIFE by signing up for a free trial over at http://podia.com/fizzle.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Developing the ability to learn and its centrality to entrepreneurship. [0:02:31.6]
- How Scott managed to turn his blogging efforts into a career. [0:06:21.2]
- Scott’s own learning journey and endeavors in productivity and improvement. [0:07:00.8]
- The MIT Challenge and the impetus behind the project. [0:10:37.2]
- Finding a way to keep learning on your clock for your own good. [0:17:21.6]
- Applying this learning model to small amounts of information. [0:19:16.1]
- The example of Tristan De Montebello and his public speaking goals. [0:21:20.6]
- A few secrets to successful learning of a new skill from Scott! [0:24:30.3]
- The benefits of generating as much feedback opportunities as possible. [0:28:40.5]
- Different types of learning and which are most effective. [0:32:39.2]
- The example of chess grandmasters and what entrepreneurs can learn from it. [0:34:56.6]
- Scott’s three-step process for becoming a better writer. [0:37:54.9]
- The process of writing Ultralearning and what Scott learned! [0:39:30.3]
- Strategic and marketing choices that go into the creation of a book. [0:41:51.9]
- The benefits of blogging and the gifts it has given Scott. [0:47:55.2]
- The effects of writing on the mind and cognition; expanding working memory. [0:51:40.6]
- And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Fizzle — https://fizzle.co
- Podia — https://www.podia.com/fizzle
- Scott H Young — https://www.scotthyoung.com/
- Ultralearning — https://www.amazon.com/Ultralearning-Master-Outsmart-Competition-Accelerate/dp/006285268X
- Wall Street Journal — https://www.wsj.com
- Getting Things Done — https://www.amazon.com/Getting-Things-Done-Stress-Free-Productivity/dp/0142000280
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People — https://www.amazon.com/Habits-Highly-Effective-People-Powerful/dp/0743269519
- MIT Challenge — https://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/myprojects/mit-challenge-2/
- Tristan de Montebello — https://medium.com/@montebello
- Toastmasters — https://www.toastmasters.org
- Zen Habits — https://zenhabits.net
- Leo Babauta — https://leobabauta.com/
- Corbett Barr — https://corbettbarr.com
- Fizzle Goals Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/goals
- Fizzle on Twitter — https://twitter.com/fizzle
- Fizzle Just Ship It Challenge — https://app.fizzle.co/just-ship-it-challenge
- Fizzle Sparkline — https://fizzle.co/sparkline
- Fizzle Journaling Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/journal
- Fizzle Essentials of Web Design Course — https://fizzle.co/library/essentials-of-website-design-for-business-builders
- Fizzle Website Tune Up Curse — https://fizzle.co/courses/tuneup
- Fizzle 80/20 Copywriting Guide — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/writing-copy-for-web
- Fizzle Project Management for Entrepreneurs — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/project-management-for-entrepreneurs
- Fizzle Hosting — https://fizzle.co/hosting
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
Is your podcast routine stuck in a rut? If so, we’ve got just what you need! Jane Portman from Userlist joins us on the blog today to share her podcasting genius. Keep reading for 8 experiments you can try when your podcasting routine needs spicing
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. Despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of content
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
Joe Valley is an Author, Guest Speaker, EXITpreneur, Advisor, and Partner at Quiet Light. He has also built, bought, or sold over half a dozen of his own companies. Over the last nine years, Joe has mentored thousands of entrepreneurs whose goal is to achieve their own eventual exit. He
Tiffany Bisconer is a CPA with over 20 years of accounting and tax experience. Tiffany worked with one of the top certified public accounting firms before becoming director of Acena Consulting. She combines her private industry and public accounting experience to work with CPA firms and directly with business owners
This has been an exciting month for Fizzle! We recently announced a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community.