We’ve all felt that feeling where, at the end of the day, you wish you felt better about the stuff you accomplished.
(Unless you’re perfect, of course.)
You wish you got more done. There’s a heaviness, a tiredness and a good helping of “dammit I didn’t give it my all today.”
Let’s talk about that, and let’s talk about 25 of our favorite tips to manage tasks we all have to deal with.
As an entrepreneur of a small business there’s just some kinds of tasks you HAVE to do… doesn’t matter WHAT kind of entrepreneur you are.
So, in this episode we share our favorite workflow tips in 8 different categories:
- Email — we all have to deal with this. Partnerships and opportunities are in our inbox alongside (thousands of!) spammy bullsh*t. We’ve got some tips for you.
- Planning & Strategy — what’s the most important next step? Are we leaving money on the table? Should we make more products or try to earn more from the assets we already have? We all have to ask this stuff. We’ve got some tips for you.
- Analytics & Measurement — we all need to have a good answer to the “how are we doing right now?” question. We’ve got some tips for you.
- Writing — whether it’s emails, blog posts, sales pages or messages to customers and employees, we all need to write. Communication is essential to every one of us. We’ve got some tips for you.
- Customer Support — if we’re doing our jobs, every one of us has some customers. If our products are anything less than perfect, we all have some customer support to manage. We’ve got some tips for you.
- Inspiration & Learning — every one of us needs to stay fresh and bring good ideas to the table. If we stall out too much we could burn all the way out. We’ve got some tips for you.
- Work/Life Balance — I’ll wager that none of us want to ruin our family lives or personal lives. This is something we all balance. We’ve got some tips for you.
You’ll find our tips for each of these in the podcast episodes below. I highly recommend listening to the whole thing — it’s like being in a pub with two really experienced small business owners… you’re going to learn some valuable stuff.
Then, below those podcast episodes I’ve compiled resources for each of the tasks we talk about in the conversation (and in the list above).
Thanks for reading and listening and I hope you enjoy! Making small improvements to tasks like these can make a world of difference in your business.
The Episodes to listen to:
“Making small improvements to tasks like these can make a world of difference in your business.”
Resources & Show Notes:
The biggest tip:
- Productivity Journalling is, to us here at Fizzle, the tactic that’s made the largest impact on our productivity (besides joining a mastermind group, but that’s not a simple tactic like this one).
- Besides the conversation in the episode where we share each of our tips, the Back to Work Podcast is one of my favorite resources for getting the right head, heart and hands about email. There’s a bunch of great episodes about how to do email, etc. This one, this one, this one and this one are great to start with.
- We also mention TextExpander (Affiliate link) in this section. Chase has saved 1.9 million characters by using TextExpander for repetitive emails and the like. (That’s over 80 hours of his life!)
Planning & Strategy:
- The End of Year Review and Planning Process Every Small Business and Online Entrepreneur Should Follow
- Asana — this is the team task management app we use.
- Trello — this is the app we use to plan projects.
Analytics & Measurement:
- Lots in the discussion on this one.
- Vanity vs. Actionable Metrics: Are you tracking the right stats in your business?
- What Gets Measured Gets Done
- 3 Quick Tricks to Find Your Voice as a Writer
- 10 Fast Ways to Become a Better Writer (Even When You're Burning the Midnight Oil and Can't Afford an Editor Just Yet)
- Don't Know What to Write About? Here's the Real Reason Why…
- Book: Save The Cat! The Last Book on Screenwriting You'll Ever Need
- Intercom — this is the app we use for customer support.
Inspiration & Learning:
- This part of the conversation doesn’t mention any resources, but it’s a good part. Don’t miss it.
- 10 Tactics to Better Work-Life Balance — phew, this is a doozie of a post, but full of hard-earned insights from our team.
Thanks for reading and listening! Hope this helps you give more ass kicks than you receive :)
The Top 10 Mistakes in Online Business
Every week we talk with entrepreneurs. We talk about what’s working and what isn’t. We talk about successes and failures. We spend time with complete newbies, seasoned veterans, and everything in between.
One topic that comes up over and over again with both groups is mistakes made in starting businesses. Newbies love to learn about mistakes so they can avoid them. Veterans love to talk about what they wish they had known when starting out.
These conversations have been fascinating, so we compiled a list of the 10 mistakes we hear most often into a nifty lil' guide. Get the 10 Most Common Mistakes in Starting an Online Business here »