Do you struggle with self-doubt and depression? How do you relate to the news of Anthony Bourdain’s death? How does your work and ambition influence your mental state?
As entrepreneurs we are constantly struggling within ourselves – it is part of the calling. With what feels like more and more frequent news of high-profile suicides or overdoses, the topic of depression is becoming a bigger part of the conversation everyday. The conversation is an indispensable one.
In this episode, we tackle this sensitive but necessary discussion from the viewpoint of business owners, but really look at in a way that is relatable for almost anyone. The team discusses their own struggles and experiences of depression and then go on to unpack some of the ways they each manage these challenges.
We also talk about belonging and acceptance, exercise and diet and affirmation, all simple ways to give yourself a foot up. This is one of the least business-centered episodes of the show, but we promise it is not one to miss!
Key Points From This Episode:
- The constant and rising amount of high profile suicides. [0:04:32.2]
- The unfulfilling nature of success and having it all. [0:08:17.7]
- Why money and freedom do not equal happiness. [0:13:12.1]
- Chase’s own strategies for managing depression. [0:15:25.8]
- Belonging, acceptance and practice as a way to combat the demons. [0:20:32.4]
- Tweaking, trimming and tending your bonsai tree. [0:25:11.2]
- The different levels of depression and seeking serious help. [0:29:16.1]
- Taking responsibility for your day to day mental health. [0:32:28.8]
- The value of exercise and diet as personal tools. [0:36:10.5]
- Practicing affirmations as a way to release the pressure. [0:37:20.5]
- Increased public dialogue and proactive approaches to depression. [0:44:40.4]
- Putting down the things that make you feel trapped. [0:51:15.3]
- Accepting our blessings and doing the hard work. [0:53:50.2]
- And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Gusto — https://gusto.com/fizzle
- HoneyBook — https://www.honeybook.com/fizzle
- Fizzle — https://fizzle.co/
- Fizzle Toolkit — https://fizzle.co/toolkit
- Fizzle Goals Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/goals
- Fizzle 80/20 Copywriting Guide — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/writing-copy-for-web
- Fizzle Journaling Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/journal
- Fizzle Roadmap — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/small-business-roadmap-1-clarity
- Fizzle Craft + Commerce — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/craft-commerce
- ConvertKit — https://fizzle.co/convertkit
- Courage and Clarity Podcast — https://www.courageandclarity.com/
- Anthony Bourdain — http://www.anthonybourdain.net/
- Kate Spade — https://www.katespade.com/
- Gary Vaynerchuk — https://www.garyvaynerchuk.com/
- Casey Neistat — https://www.caseyneistat.com/
- Ellen Degeneres — https://www.ellentube.com/
- Eddie Murphy — http://www.kennedy-center.org/artist/A227047
- Joe Rogan — https://www.joerogan.com/
- Robin Williams — https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/05/robin-williams-death-biography-dave-itzkoff-excerpt
- Dave Pell — https://nextdraft.com/
- Jim Carrey Interview — http://the-talks.com/interview/jim-carrey/
- Brené Brown — https://brenebrown.com/
- Braving the Wilderness — https://www.amazon.com/Braving-Wilderness-Quest-Belonging-Courage/dp/0812995848
- Karate Kid Part ll. — https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091326/
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline Website — https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline Number — 1-800-273-8255
- Heal Your Body — https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/270435.Heal_Your_Body
- Louise Hay — https://www.louisehay.com/
The Top 10 Mistakes in Online Business
Every week we talk with entrepreneurs. We talk about what’s working and what isn’t. We talk about successes and failures. We spend time with complete newbies, seasoned veterans, and everything in between.
One topic that comes up over and over again with both groups is mistakes made in starting businesses. Newbies love to learn about mistakes so they can avoid them. Veterans love to talk about what they wish they had known when starting out.
These conversations have been fascinating, so we compiled a list of the 10 mistakes we hear most often into a nifty lil' guide. Get the 10 Most Common Mistakes in Starting an Online Business here »