Email marketing. Those two words pack a powerful punch in the world of independent entrepreneurs and small business. In this week’s episode we tackle some of your most common questions about using email to grow your business.
Corbett, Steph, and Barrett are your hosts for this week’s show on email marketing tools, strategies, and terminology. But if that’s all you get out of this episode, then you’ve missed the point.
Email marketing should fuel your business strategy, not the other way around. Sure, email is as relevant as ever before in building a business, but only if you use it well.
If you’ve been wondering when and how to get started with email marketing in your business (or perhaps you want to revamp your current email strategy), this is the perfect conversation for you. Tune in.
(You know you should subscribe and listen to it on your podcast app on the go, right?) Enjoy!
It’s better to listen on the go! Subscribe on iTunes
Some of the questions we ask and answer:
- Is email marketing still relevant today? Is it a good marketing channel for your business?
- What are the tools available to get started with email marketing? Which tools are best for different businesses?
- “Ooooohhhh, my favorite blogger is using [insert fancy email tool here]… should I switch my email marketing provider today?”
- Lists, groups, segments, forms, subscribers… what, exactly, do these terms mean?
- What kinds of forms should I be using, and where should those forms be on my website?
- What’s the email marketing of tomorrow look like? How can I be using automation, data, and segmenting to create a system that feels personal and relevant to my customers?
“Email marketing is as relevant as ever before in building a business, but only if you use it well.”
Chase’s Daily European Travels Vlog – Chase shares a daily video update with plenty of great b-roll from his travels around Europe with his wife for their tenth anniversary
Lifestyle Business Weekly – Corbett’s new weekly newsletter, video show, and podcast where he shares the best stuff on running a lifestyle business from around the web
Email marketing tools you can consider for your business:
- ConvertKit – definitely our highest recommendation these days. Much more powerful than Mailchimp for most online entrepreneurs. Segmenting, tagging, automation, email sequences/courses, landing page creation, all of it is so easy and powerful.
- Mailchimp – Friendly brand with relatively easy to understand user interface. Features range from basic email campaigns to automation workflows. Free up to 2,000 email subscribers (without automation). Paid plans start at $10 and scale up as your email list grows.
Well-curated newsletters to check out:
- Brain Food from Farnam Street
- Brain Pickings from Maria Popova
- Next Draft from Dave Pell
- The Skimm
- What We’re Reading from The New York Times
That’s it for this episode’s show notes, people. Thanks for tuning in. Remember to leave us a review in iTunes and subscribe to the show while you’re there!
The Top 10 Mistakes in Online Business
Every week we talk with entrepreneurs. We talk about what’s working and what isn’t. We talk about successes and failures. We spend time with complete newbies, seasoned veterans, and everything in between.
One topic that comes up over and over again with both groups is mistakes made in starting businesses. Newbies love to learn about mistakes so they can avoid them. Veterans love to talk about what they wish they had known when starting out.
These conversations have been fascinating, so we compiled a list of the 10 mistakes we hear most often into a nifty lil' guide. Get the 10 Most Common Mistakes in Starting an Online Business here »