What’s the best way to ensure we do not make the same mistakes twice? What can post-mortems, reviews and retrospectives teach us about the future?
During the life of an entrepreneur it is pretty much a given that there will be successes and failures over the years. We are sure you’ll agree that the best way to increase the number of successes as time goes by is to learn from past failures. That’s where the idea of the post-mortem comes in!
In this episode, we break down why post-mortems are necessary, how they really function, and exactly how they can be practically applied to different business models.
Today on the show we are joined by our friend, Aiden Fishbein, who came up with the concept for today’s show. He really leads the discussion and lays out some great frameworks for approaching this task.
Download the Workbook!
Fizzle’s guide to Post-Mortems
Learn from your mistakes
Learn from your successes
Do better next time!
Free to download
We also talk about the risk of over analysis, post-mortems as a symptom of your companies communication habits, and how even the worst failure can have a silver lining to carry forward.
For this great conversation be sure to tune in!
Key Points From This Episode:
• The value of a postmortem and how this helps when starting something new. [0:04:01.5]
• Aiden’s early work, experiences and how he built his portfolio. [0:07:40.8]
• Duplicating success and learning from mistakes through retrospectives. [0:11:15.1]
• Setting out your ideal clients and slowly getting closer to these. [0:15:52.8]
• Balancing risks and calculated strategies as an entrepreneur. [0:19:25.4]
• Practical application of this idea across different types of business. [0:24:17.7]
• The usefulness of striving for objectivity on your projects. [0:33:20.3]
• Finding the silver lining in a bad project. [0:37:02.3]
• Year end round ups and learning from the past. [0:41:10.2]
• The postmortem cheat sheet and checking off the list. [0:45:55.7]
• Communication and its centrality to the success of an organization. [0:53:02.8]
• And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
• Fizzle — https://fizzle.co/
• Discover.bot — https://discover.bot/fizzle/
• A beginner’s guide to bots — https://discover.bot/bot-talk/beginners-guide-bots/
• Aiden Fishbein — https://vitals.agency/blog/author/aiden/
• Tony Robbins — https://www.tonyrobbins.com/
• Dan Tocchini — http://dantocchini.com/
• Episode 295 — http://fizzleshow.com/295
• Steph Crowder on Twitter — https://twitter.com/stephcrowder_
• Corbett Barr on Twitter — https://twitter.com/CorbettBarr
• Chase Reeves on Twitter — https://twitter.com/chase_reeves
• Fizzle Sparkline — https://fizzle.co/sparkline
• Fizzle Goals Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/goals
• Fizzle Journaling Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/journal
• Fizzle Try 5 — http://fizzle.co/try5
• Fizzle Essentials of Web Design Course — https://fizzle.co/library/essentials-of-website-design-for-business-builders
• Fizzle Website Tune Up Curse — https://fizzle.co/courses/tuneup
• Fizzle Roadmap — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/small-business-roadmap-1-clarity
• Start A Blog That Matters Course — https://fizzle.co/start-a-blog-that-matters
• Fizzle 80/20 Copywriting Guide — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/writing-copy-for-web
• Fizzle Toolkit — https://fizzle.co/toolkit
• Fizzle Craft + Commerce — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/craft-commerce
• Fizzle Project Management for Entrepreneurs — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/project-management-for-entrepreneurs
• Fizzle Hosting — https://fizzle.co/hosting
The Top 10 Mistakes in Online Business
Every week we talk with entrepreneurs. We talk about what’s working and what isn’t. We talk about successes and failures. We spend time with complete newbies, seasoned veterans, and everything in between.
One topic that comes up over and over again with both groups is mistakes made in starting businesses. Newbies love to learn about mistakes so they can avoid them. Veterans love to talk about what they wish they had known when starting out.
These conversations have been fascinating, so we compiled a list of the 10 mistakes we hear most often into a nifty lil' guide. Get the 10 Most Common Mistakes in Starting an Online Business here »