Confused about personal branding? Let’s clear it up in about 200 words.
Personal branding means marketing yourself and your career as a brand. You become a brand.
Oprah, Richard Branson and Martha Stewart are all examples. Oprah could have called her show “Talk Time.” Instead, she became the brand. Personal branding and regular branding can be used together. Jay-Z is a brand; he also owns the Rocawear clothing line.
Why would you want a personal brand?
Opportunities: career, business, relationships, recognition. Your personal brand will help you stand out.
How do you build a personal brand?
- Decide what you want to be known for, and what your brand will stand for.
- Do the work necessary to become truly great at something.
- Create things and publish content that demonstrate your expertise and reinforce your personal brand.
- Build a following on the web and social media.
When is a personal brand a bad idea?
Personal branding requires being in the spotlight. It requires personality. The business and you are inseparable. If you don’t like the spotlight, it may not be a good fit.
Is that all?
That’s it! Don’t complicate personal branding. It’s a simple concept with potentially huge impact.
More about personal branding from us:
- A Better Personal Brand (Fizzle Show episode #076)
- 8 Great Examples of Personal Domain Names in Action
- Why You Can’t Afford to Be a Generalist
The Top 10 Mistakes in Online Business
Every week we talk with entrepreneurs. We talk about what’s working and what isn’t. We talk about successes and failures. We spend time with complete newbies, seasoned veterans, and everything in between.
One topic that comes up over and over again with both groups is mistakes made in starting businesses. Newbies love to learn about mistakes so they can avoid them. Veterans love to talk about what they wish they had known when starting out.
These conversations have been fascinating, so we compiled a list of the 10 mistakes we hear most often into a nifty lil' guide. Get the 10 Most Common Mistakes in Starting an Online Business here »