Which strategies help our productivity with the bulk of our time?
What do we do when one of these strategies loses its effect?
What is the right balance between being focused on productivity and actually being productive?
In the online business world, there is more than enough literature and content offering you ways to be more productive! These ideas can often be really helpful, but sometimes they can seem like noise and can distract you from what is important. We want to assess where the general productivity conversation is currently situated and help you to gauge where you are with it!
In this episode, we break down the ever-evolving inner and outer world of productivity. A common experience for many people seems to be that tactics and systems can help a lot but that their effect can wear off over time. So one of the main issues here seems to be how to pivot at the right point to a new way of doing things.
Today on the show we are joined by our old bestie Chase Reeves and past guest / great friend Mike Vardy. Mike is a productivity expert who runs Productivityist and has some great, sometimes strange, routines that we cannot wait to share with all of you!
We also talk about maintaining focus, virtual assistants, the negative side of productivity and what theming your time can offer you.
For all this and more, join us today for another great show!
Listen to the episode:
Subscribe to The Fizzle Show in your favorite podcast player:
Today’s episode is brought to you by Podia.
Podia is a Swiss Army Knife for selling anything you need online. It’s an all-in-one digital storefront where you can sell courses, memberships, and digital downloads all in one place.
The cool thing about Podia is that they eliminate all the technical headaches. You don’t have to install anything, you can host your sales pages there, your files, your checkout process. You can even do your email marketing and your newsletters from Podia!
Fizzle Show listeners can get 15% off of Podia FOR LIFE by signing up for a free trial over at http://podia.com/fizzle.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Starting the year in September, theming times, days and months. [0:04:12.6]
- Understanding Mike’s use of productivity themes throughout his week. [0:08:04.5]
- Chase’s recent routines and the difference between productivity and focus. [0:11:25.8]
- The convenience and dangers of hiring a virtual assistant. [0:17:41.4]
- Productivity overwhelm and anxiety; the negative side of trying to get it all done. [0:21:07.9]
- Setting up new systems and the rebirth of our organizational strategies. [0:27:31.2]
- The personal nature and universal aspects of routine. [0:34:48.1]
- Dealing with hurdles and potholes in your productivity systems. [0:38:49.6]
- Rewards, motivations and the carrot and stick mentality. [0:43:28.8]
- Intentional hacking and injecting care into our shortcuts. [0:49:57.4]
- Mike’s advice to those wanting to level up or refresh their productivity. [0:53:08.6]
- The courses and resources that can help you actionable strategies. [0:55:11.9]
- And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Fizzle — https://fizzle.co
- Podia — https://www.podia.com/fizzle
- Mike Vardy — http://mikevardy.com/
- Productivityist — https://productivityist.com/
- Episode 99 — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/2-experts-share-exactly-how-to-use-a-productivity-journal-increase-productivity-by-23-fs099
- Work with Chase — https://www.workwithchase.com
- Martin Short — https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001737/
- Gretchen Rubin — https://gretchenrubin.com
- Nirvana — https://nirvanahq.com
- About Time — https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/about_time
- Steven Pressfield — https://stevenpressfield.com
- The Legend of Bagger Vance — https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/legend_of_bagger_vance
- The War of Art — https://www.amazon.com/War-Art-Steven-Pressfield-ebook/dp/B007A4SDCG
- Do the Work — https://www.amazon.com/Do-Work-Overcome-Resistance-Your/dp/1936891379
- My Morning Routine — https://mymorningroutine.com
- Drafts — https://getdrafts.com
- Evernote — https://evernote.com
- Asana — https://asana.com/
- Trello — https://trello.com
- Walt Whitman — https://poets.org/poet/walt-whitman
- ConvertKit — https://convertkit.com
- Getting Things Done — https://www.amazon.com/Getting-Things-Done-Stress-Free-Productivity/dp/0142000280
- David Allen — https://gettingthingsdone.com
- Stephen Covey — https://www.franklincovey.com/the-7-habits.html
- Cal Newport — http://www.calnewport.com
- Deep Work — https://www.amazon.com/Deep-Work-Focused-Success-Distracted/dp/1455586692
- Keep Going — https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Going-Ways-Creative-Times/dp/1523506644
- Austin Kleon — https://austinkleon.com
- About a Boy — https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/about_a_boy
- Chopin — https://www.biography.com/musician/frederic-chopin
- Alan Watts — https://www.alanwatts.org
- The Power of When — https://www.amazon.com/Power-When-Discover-Chronotype-Lunch-ebook/dp/B01A5VQU48
- Michael Breus — https://thesleepdoctor.com
- Fizzle Goals Course — http://fizzle.co/goals
- Steph Crowder — https://www.courageandclarity.com
- Fizzle Journalling Course — http://fizzle.co/journal
- Oprah — http://www.oprah.com
- Matterful — https://matterful.co/
- Chase Reeves — https://www.youtube.com/user/chasereeves
- Corbett Barr — https://corbettbarr.com
- Fizzle Goals Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/goals
- Fizzle on Twitter — https://twitter.com/fizzle
- Fizzle Just Ship It Challenge — https://app.fizzle.co/just-ship-it-challenge
- Fizzle Sparkline — https://fizzle.co/sparkline
- Fizzle Journaling Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/journal
- Fizzle Essentials of Web Design Course — https://fizzle.co/library/essentials-of-website-design-for-business-builders
- Fizzle Website Tune Up Curse — https://fizzle.co/courses/tuneup
- Fizzle 80/20 Copywriting Guide — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/writing-copy-for-web
- Fizzle Toolkit — https://fizzle.co/toolkit
- Fizzle Craft + Commerce — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/craft-commerce
- Fizzle Project Management for Entrepreneurs — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/project-management-for-entrepreneurs
- Fizzle Hosting — https://fizzle.co/hosting