Perfect VS Done: Do Your Best Work or Just Ship It? (FS305)
How do we balance our dreams of perfection with getting things done? Should our business be more focussed on shipping or shaping? When do we know that something is ready to go out into the world?
These are the types of questions that all entrepreneurs, whether service or product based, have to face pretty regularly. Learning how to manage this tension is huge part of finding a successful path. Continual sensitivity to these options can put you and your work in great stead.
In this episode, we get right into the issue. We weigh the benefits of getting things done and working on them meticulously. Ultimately, there is always going to be a sweet spot between how much you can possibly do and the point you need to let go.
We also talk about self doubt, paring down your vision, putting constraints of perfection and why it is not a bad idea to err on the side of shipping in the beginning.
For this and whole lot more, join us today!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Ways to think about the differences between perfect and done. [0:03:44.5]
- The difficulty of embodying both of these ideas. [0:08:20.2]
- Swinging between practicality, practice and perfection. [0:10:15.6]
- Smashing pedestals and giving yourself permission to succeed. [0:16:54.4]
- Witnessing and acknowledging how you feel about your projects. [0:20:50.8]
- What perfection actually means in relation to your psyche. [0:25:06.4]
- Starting to ship somewhere and the space there is for imperfection. [0:32:38.1]
- Performance, entrepreneurship and streamlining your shipping. [0:40:01.5]
- Perspective and clinically observing yourself and your business. [0:45:13]
- Solving a problem and letting your perfectionism serve you. [0:53:04]
- Ongoing lesson and the journey that we are on. [0:57:04.2]
- Living to fight another day in this business! [1:01:03.2]
- And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Fizzle — https://fizzle.co/
- Gusto — http://gusto.com/fizzle
- Full Metal Jacket — https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093058/
- Tony Robbins — https://www.tonyrobbins.com/
- Barack Obama — https://barackobama.com/
- Smashing Pumpkins — https://www.smashingpumpkins.com/
- StoryBrand — https://storybrand.com/
- Evernote — https://evernote.com/
- Get Out — https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5052448/
- Fizzle Try 5 — https://fizzle.co/try5
- Fizzle Customer Conversation Course — https://app.fizzle.co/courses/customer-conversations
- Fizzle Just Ship It Challenge — https://app.fizzle.co/just-ship-it-challenge
- Fizzle Post Mortem Workbook — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/learning-from-pain-via-post-mortems-fs295/
- Aiden Fishbein — https://vitals.agency/blog/author/aiden/
- Courage and Clarity — https://www.courageandclarity.com/
- Steph Crowder on Twitter — https://twitter.com/stephcrowder_
- Corbett Barr on Twitter — https://twitter.com/CorbettBarr
- Chase Reeves on Twitter — https://twitter.com/chase_reeves
- Aiden Fishbein on Twitter — https://twitter.com/megafishbein
- Fizzle Sparkline — https://fizzle.co/sparkline
- Fizzle Goals Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/goals
- Fizzle Journaling Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/journal
- Fizzle Essentials of Web Design Course — https://fizzle.co/library/essentials-of-website-design-for-business-builders
- Fizzle Website Tune Up Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/tuneup
- Fizzle Roadmap — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/small-business-roadmap-1-clarity
- Start A Blog That Matters Course — https://fizzle.co/start-a-blog-that-matters
- Fizzle 80/20 Copywriting Guide — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/writing-copy-for-web
- Fizzle Project Management for Entrepreneurs — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/project-management-for-entrepreneurs
- Fizzle Hosting — https://fizzle.co/hosting
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. But despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of
Starting a blog can be a life changing decision. I started blogging on a sabbatical while road-tripping through Mexico one year, and had no idea just how much my life would change as a result. Because I started a blog, I have: Reached millions of people Made friends around the
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
Barrett Brooks is COO at ConvertKit, which is a email marketing software for creators (authors, musicians, chefs, filmmakers, comedians, YouTubers, etc.). In this episode, Barrett goes into depth on how to own the relationship between your audience independently of social media and other platforms. By creating your own website, and
Today we have former Co-Host and Co-Founder of The Fizzle Show, Chase Reeves! We catch up with Chase today as he embarks on his own podcast journey with his new show: “Traveling Light,” where he explores the ideas, lifestyles, and habits of pop creatives, thinkers, and makers
Adii Pienaar is founder of WooCommerce and Conversio, both of which he successfully sold. In his new book Life Profitability, Adii gives us a new perspective for becoming self-aware, recognising your values, and understanding your impact.