Perfect VS Done: Do Your Best Work or Just Ship It? (FS305)
How do we balance our dreams of perfection with getting things done? Should our business be more focussed on shipping or shaping? When do we know that something is ready to go out into the world?
These are the types of questions that all entrepreneurs, whether service or product based, have to face pretty regularly. Learning how to manage this tension is huge part of finding a successful path. Continual sensitivity to these options can put you and your work in great stead.
In this episode, we get right into the issue. We weigh the benefits of getting things done and working on them meticulously. Ultimately, there is always going to be a sweet spot between how much you can possibly do and the point you need to let go.
We also talk about self doubt, paring down your vision, putting constraints of perfection and why it is not a bad idea to err on the side of shipping in the beginning.
For this and whole lot more, join us today!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Ways to think about the differences between perfect and done. [0:03:44.5]
- The difficulty of embodying both of these ideas. [0:08:20.2]
- Swinging between practicality, practice and perfection. [0:10:15.6]
- Smashing pedestals and giving yourself permission to succeed. [0:16:54.4]
- Witnessing and acknowledging how you feel about your projects. [0:20:50.8]
- What perfection actually means in relation to your psyche. [0:25:06.4]
- Starting to ship somewhere and the space there is for imperfection. [0:32:38.1]
- Performance, entrepreneurship and streamlining your shipping. [0:40:01.5]
- Perspective and clinically observing yourself and your business. [0:45:13]
- Solving a problem and letting your perfectionism serve you. [0:53:04]
- Ongoing lesson and the journey that we are on. [0:57:04.2]
- Living to fight another day in this business! [1:01:03.2]
- And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Fizzle — https://fizzle.co/
- Gusto — http://gusto.com/fizzle
- Full Metal Jacket — https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093058/
- Tony Robbins — https://www.tonyrobbins.com/
- Barack Obama — https://barackobama.com/
- Smashing Pumpkins — https://www.smashingpumpkins.com/
- StoryBrand — https://storybrand.com/
- Evernote — https://evernote.com/
- Get Out — https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5052448/
- Fizzle Try 5 — https://fizzle.co/try5
- Fizzle Customer Conversation Course — https://app.fizzle.co/courses/customer-conversations
- Fizzle Just Ship It Challenge — https://app.fizzle.co/just-ship-it-challenge
- Fizzle Post Mortem Workbook — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/learning-from-pain-via-post-mortems-fs295/
- Aiden Fishbein — https://vitals.agency/blog/author/aiden/
- Courage and Clarity — https://www.courageandclarity.com/
- Steph Crowder on Twitter — https://twitter.com/stephcrowder_
- Corbett Barr on Twitter — https://twitter.com/CorbettBarr
- Chase Reeves on Twitter — https://twitter.com/chase_reeves
- Aiden Fishbein on Twitter — https://twitter.com/megafishbein
- Fizzle Sparkline — https://fizzle.co/sparkline
- Fizzle Goals Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/goals
- Fizzle Journaling Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/journal
- Fizzle Essentials of Web Design Course — https://fizzle.co/library/essentials-of-website-design-for-business-builders
- Fizzle Website Tune Up Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/tuneup
- Fizzle Roadmap — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/small-business-roadmap-1-clarity
- Start A Blog That Matters Course — https://fizzle.co/start-a-blog-that-matters
- Fizzle 80/20 Copywriting Guide — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/writing-copy-for-web
- Fizzle Project Management for Entrepreneurs — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/project-management-for-entrepreneurs
- Fizzle Hosting — https://fizzle.co/hosting
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
Is your podcast routine stuck in a rut? If so, we’ve got just what you need! Jane Portman from Userlist joins us on the blog today to share her podcasting genius. Keep reading for 8 experiments you can try when your podcasting routine needs spicing
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. Despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of content
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
Joe Valley is an Author, Guest Speaker, EXITpreneur, Advisor, and Partner at Quiet Light. He has also built, bought, or sold over half a dozen of his own companies. Over the last nine years, Joe has mentored thousands of entrepreneurs whose goal is to achieve their own eventual exit. He
Tiffany Bisconer is a CPA with over 20 years of accounting and tax experience. Tiffany worked with one of the top certified public accounting firms before becoming director of Acena Consulting. She combines her private industry and public accounting experience to work with CPA firms and directly with business owners
This has been an exciting month for Fizzle! We recently announced a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community.