Selling Online for 20 Years: What Quin Amorim Learned (FS316)
How has online business and selling changed in the last twenty years? How can we as entrepreneurs move and change with the times to keep staying profitable, inspired and current?
Are there any rules that have stayed the same during this period?
Our topic for today centers around the world of online sales and the way in which they have and continue to evolve. The internet has sped up the development of the way traditional sales have functioned and this increasing speed is exponential!
In this episode, we break down a special guest’s particular journey, successes and misadventures, selling products on eBay and Amazon. We discuss early ideas and items, low risk moves and how they managed to scale their business slowly over time.
Today on the show we are joined by Quin Amorim, who started selling items on eBay in the late ’90s and arguably invented an early form of the now omnipresent drop shipping model. Quim has managed to build a hugely successful business and career for himself all from the early desire to make a bit more cash to spend partying!
We also talk about pocket rockets, wooden statues, quantities for packaging, becoming more organized and the importance of listening for feedback from audiences and friends. The episode really drums home the message of catching and riding different waves as they arrive and how your enthusiasm for building a brand can take you a long way.
For all of this and more, join the Fizzle team today!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Funding your dream job with another side hustle. [0:06:25.5]
- Online business models and residual sales. [0:07:58.7]
- The segments of Quin’s history in online business. [0:09:45.3]
- Low risk, low investment and drop shipping. [0:15:20.7]
- Comparing the online marketplace of today versus that of the past. [0:19:15.2]
- Scaling, bulk selling and cellphone cases. [0:23:12.1]
- The idea of private labeling. [0:29:32.7]
- Facing failure and learning from difficult circumstances. [0:35:08.5]
- Quin’s forays into the food, grocery and baby categories on Amazon. [0:38:51.7]
- The longevity of certain products on Amazon. [0:44:30.5]
- Racing to the bottom line and respite from the crunch. [0:48:13.4]
- Following demand, market size and the excitement of seeing your products. [0:56:02.8]
- Building a passion and a business as you learn. [1:03:13.4]
- And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Fizzle — https://fizzle.co/
- Discover.bot — https://discover.bot/fizzle
- Your Guide to Bot-Building Frameworks – https://bit.ly/2KfdIiS
- Quin Amorim — https://www.linkedin.com/in/private-label
- Amazon — https://www.amazon.com
- eBay — https://www.ebay.com
- Nokia — https://www.nokia.com
- Ed Hardy — https://www.edhardyoriginals.com
- Bill Gates — https://www.gatesnotes.com
- NerdWallet — https://www.nerdwallet.com
- Taotronics — https://www.taotronics.com
- Anker — https://www.anker.com
- Fizzle Roadmap — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/small-business-roadmap-1-clarity
- Fizzle on Twitter — https://twitter.com/fizzle
- Fizzle Just Ship It Challenge — https://app.fizzle.co/just-ship-it-challenge
- Courage and Clarity — https://www.courageandclarity.com/
- Steph Crowder on Twitter — https://twitter.com/stephcrowder_?lang=en
- Corbett Barr on Twitter — https://twitter.com/CorbettBarr
- Chase Reeves on Twitter — https://twitter.com/chase_reeves
- Aiden Fishbein ––https://vitals.agency/blog/author/aiden/
- Fizzle Sparkline — https://fizzle.co/sparkline
- Fizzle Goals Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/goals
- Fizzle Journaling Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/journal
- Fizzle Essentials of Web Design Course — https://fizzle.co/library/essentials-of-website-design-for-business-builders
- Fizzle Website Tune Up Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/tuneup
- Start A Blog That Matters Course — https://fizzle.co/start-a-blog-that-matters
- Fizzle 80/20 Copywriting Guide — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/writing-copy-for-web
- Fizzle Project Management for Entrepreneurs — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/project-management-for-entrepreneurs
- Fizzle Hosting — https://fizzle.co/hosting
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. But despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of
Starting a blog can be a life changing decision. I started blogging on a sabbatical while road-tripping through Mexico one year, and had no idea just how much my life would change as a result. Because I started a blog, I have: Reached millions of people Made friends around the
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
Barrett Brooks is COO at ConvertKit, which is a email marketing software for creators (authors, musicians, chefs, filmmakers, comedians, YouTubers, etc.). In this episode, Barrett goes into depth on how to own the relationship between your audience independently of social media and other platforms. By creating your own website, and
Today we have former Co-Host and Co-Founder of The Fizzle Show, Chase Reeves! We catch up with Chase today as he embarks on his own podcast journey with his new show: “Traveling Light,” where he explores the ideas, lifestyles, and habits of pop creatives, thinkers, and makers
Adii Pienaar is founder of WooCommerce and Conversio, both of which he successfully sold. In his new book Life Profitability, Adii gives us a new perspective for becoming self-aware, recognising your values, and understanding your impact.