The Best Productivity Routines with Mike Vardy and Chase Reeves (FS338)
Which strategies help our productivity with the bulk of our time?
What do we do when one of these strategies loses its effect?
What is the right balance between being focused on productivity and actually being productive?
In the online business world, there is more than enough literature and content offering you ways to be more productive! These ideas can often be really helpful, but sometimes they can seem like noise and can distract you from what is important. We want to assess where the general productivity conversation is currently situated and help you to gauge where you are with it!
In this episode, we break down the ever-evolving inner and outer world of productivity. A common experience for many people seems to be that tactics and systems can help a lot but that their effect can wear off over time. So one of the main issues here seems to be how to pivot at the right point to a new way of doing things.
Today on the show we are joined by our old bestie Chase Reeves and past guest / great friend Mike Vardy. Mike is a productivity expert who runs Productivityist and has some great, sometimes strange, routines that we cannot wait to share with all of you!
We also talk about maintaining focus, virtual assistants, the negative side of productivity and what theming your time can offer you.
For all this and more, join us today for another great show!
Today’s episode is brought to you by Podia.
Podia is a Swiss Army Knife for selling anything you need online. It’s an all-in-one digital storefront where you can sell courses, memberships, and digital downloads all in one place.
The cool thing about Podia is that they eliminate all the technical headaches. You don’t have to install anything, you can host your sales pages there, your files, your checkout process. You can even do your email marketing and your newsletters from Podia!
Fizzle Show listeners can get 15% off of Podia FOR LIFE by signing up for a free trial over at http://podia.com/fizzle.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Starting the year in September, theming times, days and months. [0:04:12.6]
- Understanding Mike’s use of productivity themes throughout his week. [0:08:04.5]
- Chase’s recent routines and the difference between productivity and focus. [0:11:25.8]
- The convenience and dangers of hiring a virtual assistant. [0:17:41.4]
- Productivity overwhelm and anxiety; the negative side of trying to get it all done. [0:21:07.9]
- Setting up new systems and the rebirth of our organizational strategies. [0:27:31.2]
- The personal nature and universal aspects of routine. [0:34:48.1]
- Dealing with hurdles and potholes in your productivity systems. [0:38:49.6]
- Rewards, motivations and the carrot and stick mentality. [0:43:28.8]
- Intentional hacking and injecting care into our shortcuts. [0:49:57.4]
- Mike’s advice to those wanting to level up or refresh their productivity. [0:53:08.6]
- The courses and resources that can help you actionable strategies. [0:55:11.9]
- And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Fizzle — https://fizzle.co
- Podia — https://www.podia.com/fizzle
- Mike Vardy — http://mikevardy.com/
- Productivityist — https://productivityist.com/
- Episode 99 — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/2-experts-share-exactly-how-to-use-a-productivity-journal-increase-productivity-by-23-fs099
- Work with Chase — https://www.workwithchase.com
- Martin Short — https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001737/
- Gretchen Rubin — https://gretchenrubin.com
- Nirvana — https://nirvanahq.com
- About Time — https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/about_time
- Steven Pressfield — https://stevenpressfield.com
- The Legend of Bagger Vance — https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/legend_of_bagger_vance
- The War of Art — https://www.amazon.com/War-Art-Steven-Pressfield-ebook/dp/B007A4SDCG
- Do the Work — https://www.amazon.com/Do-Work-Overcome-Resistance-Your/dp/1936891379
- My Morning Routine — https://mymorningroutine.com
- Drafts — https://getdrafts.com
- Evernote — https://evernote.com
- Asana — https://asana.com/
- Trello — https://trello.com
- Walt Whitman — https://poets.org/poet/walt-whitman
- ConvertKit — https://convertkit.com
- Getting Things Done — https://www.amazon.com/Getting-Things-Done-Stress-Free-Productivity/dp/0142000280
- David Allen — https://gettingthingsdone.com
- Stephen Covey — https://www.franklincovey.com/the-7-habits.html
- Deep Work — https://www.amazon.com/Deep-Work-Focused-Success-Distracted/dp/1455586692
- Keep Going — https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Going-Ways-Creative-Times/dp/1523506644
- Austin Kleon — https://austinkleon.com
- About a Boy — https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/about_a_boy
- Chopin — https://www.biography.com/musician/frederic-chopin
- Alan Watts — https://www.alanwatts.org
- The Power of When — https://www.amazon.com/Power-When-Discover-Chronotype-Lunch-ebook/dp/B01A5VQU48
- Michael Breus — https://thesleepdoctor.com
- Fizzle Goals Course — https://fizzle.co/goals
- Steph Crowder — https://www.courageandclarity.com
- Fizzle Journalling Course — https://fizzle.co/journal
- Oprah — http://www.oprah.com
- Matterful — https://matterful.co/
- Chase Reeves — https://www.youtube.com/user/chasereeves
- Corbett Barr — https://corbettbarr.com
- Fizzle Goals Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/goals
- Fizzle on Twitter — https://twitter.com/fizzle
- Fizzle Just Ship It Challenge — https://app.fizzle.co/just-ship-it-challenge
- Fizzle Sparkline — https://fizzle.co/sparkline
- Fizzle Journaling Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/journal
- Fizzle Essentials of Web Design Course — https://fizzle.co/library/essentials-of-website-design-for-business-builders
- Fizzle Website Tune Up Course — https://fizzle.co/courses/tuneup
- Fizzle 80/20 Copywriting Guide — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/writing-copy-for-web
- Fizzle Project Management for Entrepreneurs — https://fizzle.co/sparkline/project-management-for-entrepreneurs
- Fizzle Hosting — https://fizzle.co/hosting
I’ve taken a lot of courses and been involved in several paid communities since I started my business, but I’ve never ever felt like anyone CARED as much about seeing my reach my goals as the Fizzle Team. They show up for me as much as I show up for myself. Thank you SO much, you guys!
📓 Articles & Announcements
Today is an exciting day for Fizzle. We’re announcing a complete refresh of Fizzle, including every aspect of our user experience – courses, content, live events and more. Since we first opened Fizzle in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of entrepreneurs and creators with training, coaching and community. Today, this refresh marks
Hands up if you easily create consistent content week after week without fail. My guess? Since you’re reading this article, that’s probably not the case. But despite what you may be thinking – you’re not alone. Lots of
Starting a blog can be a life changing decision. I started blogging on a sabbatical while road-tripping through Mexico one year, and had no idea just how much my life would change as a result. Because I started a blog, I have: Reached millions of people Made friends around the
🎙️ Podcast Episodes
Barrett Brooks is COO at ConvertKit, which is a email marketing software for creators (authors, musicians, chefs, filmmakers, comedians, YouTubers, etc.). In this episode, Barrett goes into depth on how to own the relationship between your audience independently of social media and other platforms. By creating your own website, and
Today we have former Co-Host and Co-Founder of The Fizzle Show, Chase Reeves! We catch up with Chase today as he embarks on his own podcast journey with his new show: “Traveling Light,” where he explores the ideas, lifestyles, and habits of pop creatives, thinkers, and makers
Adii Pienaar is founder of WooCommerce and Conversio, both of which he successfully sold. In his new book Life Profitability, Adii gives us a new perspective for becoming self-aware, recognising your values, and understanding your impact.